VII

A Few Days Later
Elara's Ship, Earth

Krel's POV

"I get 25, and you get the remaining five," El confirms.

"What?! No! That's unfair and unequal!" I argue.

"Then I get 20 and you get 10, but that's my final offer."

"How about we just get $15 each? I had as much of a part in it as you did," I split the money evenly and hand El her share.

"Ugh, fine. Whatever," she accepts the money with a sour expression.

I glance around El's ship. "Hmm, it's way too quiet in here. Why don't we listen to some music." I pull up my speaker and toss it into the air, operating by itself. It hovers above the ground and I knock it away, playing the first song.

I bob my head to the beat, snapping my fingers rhythmically to the music.

"A TRC? Please, that's so old-fashioned," El scoffs.

"Hey! It's the latest tech on Akiridion-5," I pout.

"You won't say that when you see this," she takes out a retroactive music box that I've never seen before.

"It amplifies sound, increases in size however you like, even comes with a secret weapons system for a sneak attack."

"What is it with you and your weapons?!" I groan.

"I'm not the one who makes this stuff! She protests. "I just collect them—"

"Because of the weapons," I finish for her. "Other than that, it does look quite complex and advanced ... But I still like my TRC. So why can't we just use that?"

"Nope! My ship, my rules." El snatches my speaker in midair and initiates her own. "We only use my stuff in my ship."

She tosses my TRC back to me. I catch it and put it away bitterly, as her speaker plays an upbeat rhythm. She turns back around to get a new integrant for Mother's dashboard.

The frown on my face softens as the music gets in my head. Soon I'm moving to the beat, rolling my shoulders back and tapping my feet against the ground.

I pivot to find El staring at me. "Um, what are you doing?"

"Dancing. What else?" I gesture for her to join me.

As soon as she realises what I'm planning she shakes her head vigorously. "Nope! No way," she warns me.

"You need to loosen up every once in a while. Now c'mon! Dance with me!" I pull her to center of the room, urging her to "bust a move." (It's what humans call dancing these days.)

"What, no!" She pulls free from my grasp and backs away. "I-I don't know how to dance. I've got two left feet."

I look down at her metallic feet quizzically. "... no you don't. You've got a left and a right each."

"It's called an expression, you Doofus!" She snaps. "And besides, I never learned," she adds quietly.

"Dancing isn't something you learn. It's something that comes from inside of you ... like urine, or when you defecate."

"... I'm not following," El finally answers.

"You know what? Forget the urine part. Do you have a musical avocation?"

"... No," she replies.

"Do you play the piano?"

"No."

"How about the guitar?"

"No."

"The violin? Flute? Saxophone? Clarinet? Singing? Disc Jockeying? Nothing?!"