XI

A Few Days Later
The Mothership, Earth

Krel's POV

"Can we please just take a short break?!" I beg. "I've got cramps all over!"

"Come on, don't be a baby! We've got at least a couple dozen pieces left to insert." El pushes in a new compartment to the Mothership's exterior design. "Make that a dozen and eleven left."

"Do you want to put all of this behind for at least one delson and go crazy?"

"No thanks. I'd rather stay sane for the rest of my life," she replies sarcastically.

"What I mean is to have fun, be carefree. Don't you want to every once in a while?"

"Yeah, I do." She shrugs. "So what?" El unscrews a peg from the wall with her index finger as she speaks.

"Well, since you know more about this town than Aja and I do, I thought you could take us around a bit, show us the ropes."

"And why are you asking me out of all people? Can't Steve or Mary do it?"

"Ok, first of all, Steve's nothing but an imbecile! And Mary's just plain annoying."

"I thought you found me annoying."

"I do! You're just more bearable because you're my friend."

"So now we're friends?"

"I don't know! Probably?" I smile at her sheepishly.

Her face scrunches in thought for a moment, until her eyebrow quirks up into a small smirk. "Go get your sister, Tarron. I want to introduce you to what humans call a beach."

@@@

"I find this attire highly inappropriate and completely unnecessary!" I huff, stomping out into the Mudball's yellow sun wearing what humans call "swim trunks" and no shirt. I cover my chest with my arms as I wait for El to finish changing.

"Well I find this shirt very comfortable and lightweight," Aja steps beside me in a dark-blue garment that covers her torso all the way down to the beginning of her legs.

"Yeah! You're looking good today, Aja." Steve bounds over to us clumsily, knocking me aside.

"Hey! Watch where you're going," I sulk, rubbing my sore arm.

"Oh, hey Aja's brother. Didn't see you there for a moment."

"I was standing right next to her!—"

"So Aja, where'd you get that dope swimsuit?"

"El lent it to me. I feel free in it!"

"And I feel naked in this attire!" I grumble.

"But you're not, Dude," Steve tries to assure me. "Swim trunks are what make a man feel manly." He hits himself on the chest.

My face falls. What does Aja see in this blonde oaf?!

"That's what I thought at day one," El's voice rigs through the air as if she knew what I was thinking. I turn around just in time to see her walk out of the building.

I blink. It takes me a secton to register what she's wearing.

My whole face starts to throb red. I clench my teeth, willing away the stain of blush, but at the same time, I can't take my eyes off of El.

El. Is that even El? That does not look like El. El is ... El is ...

El does not make me feel this way.

Does she?

She's wearing less clothing as my sister, only she looks distinctly different from her. Her garments are black, the silky kind, and exposes long tanned legs that shine in the sun. She walks towards us, every step as light and graceful as a gazelle.