XVI

A Few Days Later
The Mothership, Earth

Krel's POV

"Aja, I already told you I'm not going!" I repeat to my sister, on the night of Prom.

"And I already vowed not to leave you here all night doing nothing. You're coming with me whether you like it or not!"

I groan outwardly as Aja forces me into the camouflage matrix. When I step out, I'm in my transduction form and a smart black tuxedo with matching shoes.

"Sister, this attire really isn't necessary," I tell her. "I've got no reason to dress up. El's ... not coming," my voice trails off. I would have to go by myself if Aja does end up dragging me with her to this pointless Prom.

"But you can still have fun without her. We can dance, talk all night and eat as many snacks as we please! Oh. And just between you and me—" she cups her hands over my ear "—there's a chocolate fountain."

I just grunt in reply.

"Come on, Krel! You love chocolate!" I hear her state as she steps into the camouflage matrix.

"Ugh. I just don't feel like eating it tonight."

Aja steps out wearing a silky-red dress and her whitish-blonde hair done in a fancy waterfall braid.

"Wow. I haven't seen you dress up since your last royal ball," I observe. "You look nice."

"Thanks. I'm dressing up for Steve," Aja announces dreamily as she twirls, her skirt rustling noiselessly. I choke back a retch.

I catch her staring at my face, studying me.

"What?"

"Something's missing ..." She walks behind me and suddenly grabs my hair in huge locks!

OUCH!!!! Ow!!!! What are you doing?!" I yelp as she twists all the hair on my head together!

"Stay still," she pants as I jerk away from her. "Almost ... done, and ... finished!"

She brings me in front of the mirror. "What do you think?"

I gawk at my dark-brown man bun in horror. "What have you done to me?!" I screech.

"Stop your whining, Little Brother. You don't look bad!" She tries to reassure me as I turn my head at different angles in the mirror.

"I look like a girl!" I pout.

"You're just exaggerating; it looks good! And you already looked like a girl before with your long! Flowy! Princessy hair!" she flares dramatically.

"Everyone's gonna laugh at me!" I moan, dropping onto the couch face-first.

"No one's gonna laugh at you!" Aja comforts me. "I've seen many males with the same hairstyle as you. Humans like it!"

"You're just saying that because you're my sister," I answer glumly.

Aja starts to say something, but she's cut off by Mother's voice ringing through the ship.

"My Royals, ingenious life forms are approaching."

"GLORIOUS!!!! VARVATOS VEX SHALL TEAR THESE BOUNTY HUNTERS LIMB FROM LIMB!!!!" Varvatos roars, starting to charge outside in his "geezer" form!

"No no! They're my friends!" Aja lowers his walking stick from where he points it at the doorway. "They've come to get me."

"Of course they did," I can't help but mumble.

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" Aja pouts.

"Nothing, never mind. Let's just get this over and done with."