Chapter Twenty

William came out of his study and looked up at Lily who was stood at the the top of the stairs, he ran up them two at a time to be by her side. Once he got there he wrapped his arms around her just as she collapsed into his arms with floods of tears falling from her eyes.

William lifted her up carrying her in his arms down the steps and into his study. He placed her on the one of the chairs and walked over to his drinks cabinet and poured them both a large glass of whiskey.

He sat on the chair next to her holding out the glass for her to take.

He gulped down his and said 'I think it is about time for me to tell you'

Lily just looked to the floor giving a small nod that she was listening.

So he began to tell his story.

***************

30 years ago....

Everyone in the castle was busy set at work, the maids cleaning all the rooms the kitchen staff set to work preparing everything for lunch Mary a fourteen year old girl who was a scullery maid at the time stocking up the fires when Thomas, my fathers brother entered the room with his glass of spirit constantly glued to his hand staggering around as he shouted to Mary to get out and leave the adults alone. Mary quickly gathered up all her things and headed towards the door but before she left she looked over her shoulder and seen Thomas go over to Belinda a twenty year old maid, Belinda could see Mary looking at her with concern but she just nodded to her telling her that it was okay for her to go.

Mary did not know what happened that day but in the weeks leading up to it she seen how Thomas was acting pawing at Belinda like she was an object, and like he owned her. It was always when my parents where not around that he behaved this way, it was not until years after that we found out the staff would always dread them leaving.

So a few months had passed and Mary had discovered that Belinda was with child. Belinda was far to scared to tell anyone so she made Mary promise not to tell. Mary knew that Thomas would have been the father putting two and two together.

Another month or so passed and yet again my parents had left and he marched straight back up to Belinda wanting his way with her, Mary was in the room this time he must have been that drink he did not see her. He ripped the clothes from her and at first he did not see anything but then when he looked down he flew into a rage shouting and started to punch her in the face the chest and the stomach. Mary ran up trying to shelter her from the blows but it was no use he just grabbed onto her arm and flung her to the side and began to hit Belinda again and again. Mary cried out for help but no one came until my parents came back my father rushed into the room seeing what was happening he grabbed hold of his brother spun him around and punched him in the face knocking him to the floor. My mother ran to be beside Belinda taking the shawl from around her shoulders and covering her up, beckoning Mary to be beside them. As she comforted them my father dragged Thomas from the room to the study slamming the door behind him in an attempt to conceal the noise of his fist coming into contact with Thomas' flesh.

So some more time had passed and my mother was spending more and more time in bed because of the sickness being pregnant with me.

Belinda was still working at the castle against my fathers wishes, he had offered her a cottage, money everything she would need to raise a child, and said if she wanted she could return back to work after her baby was Born. But she would not except the help and instead chose to keep working. My father would ask her about her koans but she would just say 'don't worry my lord. I will be fine'

He paused taking another drink, looking to Lily to see if she was still listening, but she still had her head held down looking at the floor, so he
Continued to tell the story.

Everything was fine for a while until one day Belinda was found at the bottom of the stairs. .... The same stairs where you where found.

Lily spun her head straight up looking at William, without saying a word. She could not believe what he just said. Surly that can not be a coincidence. she thought. William just nodded his head.

Mary found her that day, I think it still haunts her. She was always following Belinda everywhere to keep an eye on her but that day she had a lot of work to do and just could not keep up.

Mary quickly got the doctor who was already here checking on my mother but it was to late she was already gone. All the doctor could do was cut the baby from her lifeless body while she still lay on the floor.