12

chapter twelve
florence thompson
song: priest – julia michaels

"How many sexual partners are you with currently?"

His words knocked the air out of my chest, rendering me speechless as I stared at him, wide-eyed. I almost was surprised at the nerve of this man but then recalled his warning about his nontraditional ways of going about things.

"Wow," I let out a breath, staring at him as if he had five heads and six arms.

"Sorry, was that blunt?" He asked, sipping his wine as he stared at me over the rim of the glass.

My heart thudded loudly in my chest and I couldn't find it in me to even respond to his question. Either of them, really. How to respond to such a question? Was it blunt? Of course, it was blunt, you asked me how many people I'm fucking and as a virgin that is a very nerve-wracking question!

"None," I blurted, glancing up to find him tilting his head curiously. "I'm not sleeping with anyone currently."

"Interesting," he spoke, his voice silky smooth.

Not really, I wanted to say but refrained from it. I had a funny feeling the moment he found out I'm about as virgin as they come he would bolt like they always do. Something about being a virgin really repels men, hence why I'm less than enthused to share this information with anyone ever.

I mean, Rico literally uses it as a punchline.

"I'm not looking for any sexual partners either," I spoke, my voice wobbly as it left my throat.

He quirked a brow up, quite obviously very intrigued at this point in the conversation. I nearly groaned at this. Why is my lack of sexual desire so interesting to the male species?

"I apologize for my shock, it's just usually that's how these things work. Usually, in exchange for sex I'll give you whatever you'd like, Gucci bags, expensive heels, cars," he spoke matter of factly, also not touching his food at this point.

I felt my cheeks flush.

"I have a friend who does this, she said that sometimes it's in exchange for her time rather than a sexual relationship," I said, tucking my wavy blonde hair behind my ear as I looked at him curiously.

He nodded, taking in the information.

"Absolutely. That's a less popular arrangement, but definitely doable," he noted, making my heart finally slow in my chest. "If we were to perhaps engage in such a dynamic, what would you want in return, Miss Thompson?"

I gnawed the inside of my lip, thinking about my answer. The question was all too similar to his earlier question that nearly gave me a panic attack and I couldn't just not answer this question as well.

"Cars? Clothes? A weekly check? What is it you desire?" He purred, sending chills over my skin and causing me to feel a little weaker than I was fond of.

"No," I finally found my voice that was pretty much the at the decimal of a mouse. I thought long and hard about what I would even be mildly comfortable with. "Maybe rent? I'm having a hard time with it lately between art supplies and gas for work."

His expression was unreadable for a moment, making me want to immediately take it back.

Why in the world would you ask him to pay your rent?! That's your responsibility-

"Fair enough. What type of rent are we taking? Two bedrooms, a nice part of town, good security, two grand?" He guessed at my monthly rent just as I'd taken a sip of water and I immediately began choking.