28

chapter twenty eight
florence thompson
song: are you lonesome tonight - elvis

The rain pouring down on Tuesday night as I pulled up to Vincent's apartment complex reminded me of the night I arrived looking like a sewer rat. The same night Vincent oh so happily broke the rules I very quickly placed between the two of us. Well, I guess not technically.

The thought alone made my cheeks flush as I slammed my door shut, this time being smart enough to carry an umbrella. I opened it, wasting no time in making my way into the building before we had a repeat of my late night visit.

Upon my entrance, I collapsed my umbrella. Thankfully this time around all the expensive looking people didn't look twice at me...except for one. My interest piqued when I recognized the man from the first time I visited Vincent here, the man who was ridiculously handsome and annoyingly cryptic.

His dark curly hair was messy today, his blue eyes standing out in an alluring contrast from his tanned skin.

His lips quirked up when he saw me, and I made the quick decision to ignore him and head towards the elevator with my umbrella in hand. Unlucky for me, apparently the oh so mysterious man also had to get into the elevator.

I knew he'd caught my annoyance from the amusement written on his features as he slid through the closing doors.

It was silent between us as we both stared at the numbers, his hands clasped in front of him. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye to see a smirk pulling on his lips. I rolled my eyes, turning back to face the front of the elevator.

"I'd like to point out that I held the doors for you, Miss Thompson. Isn't it only polite to return the favor?" His smoky tone finally broke the thick silence that flooded the elevator.

Bad analogy. Now I'm picturing drowning in an elevator. Add that to my list of unrealistic fears.

"Sorry, didn't see you," I lied straight through my teeth, not bothering to look at him. He knew I was lying, I knew I was lying.

He let out a deep chuckle.

Thankfully we finally arrived to the top floor where I was quick to flee the moving contraption. I felt his gaze glued to my back, sending wary shivers down my spine. I didn't make a move to glance back at him as I listened to the elevator doors close. The quiet hum of the elevator descending relieved me as I released a sigh, a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

"Vincent?" I called out, pulling my jacket off and hanging it on the rack next to the elevator. I placed my umbrella next to it, along with my purse.

It took a few fleeting moments before he finally appeared, a crooked smile on his lips when he drank in the sight of me in all my after work glory. I was wearing light wash skinny jeans and a gray T-shirt to pair with my black converse. Nothing fancy, thats for sure.

"I'm digging the choice of apparel, Miss Thompson," he teased, coming to greet me where I was still stood with a goofy grin on my lips.

"Oh, are you?" I countered, placing my hands on my hips playfully.

"Yes, very much so," he smiled down at me as he came to stand in front of me. He pulled his hands out of his trouser pockets, playfully clenched his fist, putting it up to his mouth as if he was holding a microphone. "Miss Thompson, we're just dying to know, who are you wearing tonight?" He deepened his voice-something I wasn't even aware was possible-leaning forward and placing the imaginary microphone towards me.