Chapter 5

Elaine's pov

It was another new day for me I thought to myself, as I woke up with a yawn. My hands ached from all the training that I and Seraphina were doing last night.

Too tired to heal myself I immediately went to sleep which now I'm regretting.

I quickly healed myself and went to brush my teeth in the washbasin. I noticed Seraphina has still not woken up so I decided to wake her up myself.

I am still worried about her. She is a way too hard on herself now. Ever since she lost her abilities she became everyone's prey. I think that she still blames herself for letting those people steal her ability.

Even though she trains regularly to protect herself. She would still end up with injuries. Somedays she would hide them from me and I had to insist on her to heal it.

The fact that she was reduced from the most powerful student of Wellstone to a powerless cripple was too much for her to handle.

Every single day I would see her holding her alarm clock with a bit of hope in her eyes, checking whether her abilities have returned or not.

But she was left dejected every time with disappointment clearly written on her face.

She has become an empty shell of what she was. It just hurts to see her in this way. What has she ever done to deserve this !!

But I am more annoyed at those god damn authorities. They have one job to do and yet there is no news of any update in her condition. I wonder if they are just useless high rankers sitting on a position they don't deserve.

I approached her room and saw that the room's door was open. I went in there to see Seraphina wincing at her sore arms. It seems like she has just woken up.

There was no alarm or any clock in the room so I understood that she has given up on all hopes for her ability to return.

I decided to cheer her up a bit by giving the message John asked me to deliver to her when he came last night to tell her. But she was sleeping at that time.

"Seraphina John wants to meet you today at your regular meeting spot. "I told her.

Her face brightened at the mention of his name. She is so easy to read. At least there is someone to cheer her up when she's gloomy.

"Seems like someone's excited~" I teased her.

"Its nothing like that "she turned pink as defended herself.

"Sure keep denying it" I said to her.

"We are just friends Elaine. I don't think he sees me in that way." she seemed a bit upset.

"Its nothing to worry about. "I assured her."Friendship is the base of any relationship and besides it takes time for feelings to develop. Moreover it could be that he feels the same way as you but don't want to reveal it so soon."

She seemed hopeful at my response. "Thanks Elaine for saying that. I thought that I was rushing things."

"No worries what are friends for."I smiled at her."Now get ready I am preparing breakfast. "
I quickly healed her arms so that it won't hurt and went towards the kitchen.

I began to prepare an omelet and orange juice for breakfast. As I was peeling the oranges my mind drifted towards Arlo.

Even though I like Seraphina a part of me is jealous of her. She has John who cares a lot for her and it's clear that he likes her too. They would be dating in no time while I would be still left in this hopeless crush.

'I wonder what Arlo was doing right now and if I will meet him again.'

A sudden pain pierced my heart as I mentally cursed myself for hoping the impossible.

'Get a grip Elaine there is no way he will return your feelings. You gave him several hints that you like him but he never paid attention. The only reason he needs you is that you are a healer to his team Nothing More'

Tears trickled down my eyes as I thought about all the encounters with him.

Whenever he asked me to meet with him it was only about the information on Seraphina or Remi or about the Turf wars. There was not a single time when he just wants to see me.

Why do I get even excited about it hoping that there is a part of him having feelings for me? I hated myself for loving him.

There is no way the King of Wellstone will date a low-level healer like me. Sometimes I wish if my level was higher then I would have gained his attention.

"Maybe this is what it feels like to be in hopelessly love with someone" I said bittersweetly to myself.

I quickly wiped my tears and finished preparing the breakfast as I heard approaching footsteps.

It was Seraphina. She has already dressed up. She helped me to set up the plates for breakfast. I noticed her glancing at me as she took a seat.

I sat down on the chair next to her and drank the orange juice. I could still feel her gaze on me.

When it became uncomfortable I asked her
"Is something wrong Seraphina"

"Elaine were you crying ?" she asked me.

"No! why did you ask, "I said nervously.

"Your eyes are red and swollen" She said pointing out the obvious.

Shit I forgot to wash my face.

"Is something troubling you?" She asked having a concerned look on her face.

"Don't worry its nothing. "I assured her. She is already dealing with a lot I just can't add more trouble for her.

She did not look convinced. She was about to say something when suddenly my phone rang.

I excused myself to pick the call. It was from Arlo I wonder what's the matter.

"Hello"

"Elaine is that you?!" it was not Arlo's voice.

"Yes but may I know who are you" I inquired.

"it's me Holden," he answered.
I noticed that his voice was panicking.
"What happened Holden is everything alright?," I asked in concern.

"Elaine! Arlo has fainted in his room and is not waking up. Please come here immediately I don't know what I should do"

My heart sank. I nearly dropped the phone in a panic. I tried not to lose my composure as I instructed him on what to do.
"Lay him in the bed Holden and make sure to open all the windows. I am coming there as fast as possible!"

I immediately informed the situation to Seraphina.
"Seraphina I have to go now. Something has happened to Arlo" I said hurriedly as I took out the medicine box from the drawer. They may come in handy.

She seemed to have understood the situation as she advised me not to waste any more time here.

I quickly nodded and dashed towards the door making my way towards his dorm room.

'Please be alright Arlo 'I inwardly prayed.

------------------------------------------------------

I hope you liked the chapter.

Sorry for updating so late.

Even though initially I didn't like Elaine due to her behavior towards John but she had a lot of character development in the recent chapters the same goes for Arlo.

I liked her when she protected Arlo when he was about to get stabbed and when helped to find Seraphina.

I was thinking of calling the ArloXElaine ship "Arlaine".

Don't forget to vote for the chapter as it gives me the motivation to work hard.

Thanks for reading.Hope to see ya soon.