Chapter 17

Yoohoo it's the weekend!! 😄😄
Time to party 🥳 🎉
And read the latest chapter of our favourite werewolf book of all time 🙌🏼 🤗
I give you chapter 17...

3632 words

"You must be Ella."

The voice makes me blink in surprise, and clutch the towel around me tighter to my body. My gaze searches out the source of the feminine voice, a young shewolf standing by the windows. She pulls back the curtains and sunlight pours into the bedroom, radiating through her and making her smile appear effortless.

This girl—around my age I guess—truly is beautiful, with dark blonde hair in a neat ponytail, a wilful and cheery face, and a figure that isn't quite slim, but toned with muscles and athletic strength.
My eyes take in her appearance in an instant, female to female, assessing her as either friend or foe. She looks formidable in well-worn trainers, tight exercise pants, a loose tank, and an energy lingering in her hands that had just straightened the curtains.

"It's actually Ariella," I take her offered hand and try not to wince at the strong shake she gives it.

Her smile falters for a brief moment. "But Malachi said—"

"He didn't know my full name when we first met..."

When her frown deepens, brown-green eyes looking at me strangely as if there was something on my face, I squirm under her gaze and pull back my hand. I tuck some frizzy flyaways behind my ear self-consciously as she wipes off the frown and her smile blossoms again.

"Well, Ariella, I'm Harlow. Nice to finally meet you. Malachi hasn't given much away about you, so I've had to guess what his mate was like. And I can now say," she tilts her head sideways and regards me with hands on hips. "You're nothing like I expected," she smiles, perfect white teeth parting under rosy lips, her eyes offering a nod of approval.

But it doesn't quite feel like approval. Her brief once-over leaves me feeling that perhaps she truthfully meant the remark in a negative way. Perhaps I am nothing like the strong, courageous Luna she was expecting for her pack.

"Umm—" I fidget, scrunching the towel between my cold fingers and shifting on my feet, an awkward silence weighing on my tongue with nothing to say.

"Oh, I'm sorry to keep you standing there like that! Where are my manners? Here are the clothes I brought you. I sure hope they fit. I had to guess the size, because as I said before, I really had no idea what you looked like or anything. That Alpha is so tight lipped, it's like pulling teeth trying to get anything out of him!" She takes a breath after her monologue and pushes me back into the bathroom.

I slip on the gym shorts Harlow had given me, then put on the underwear that was rather tight. It squeezes my chest, making it hard to breathe, but I tell myself it will stretch soon. I can't expect Harlow to find perfectly fitting clothing on such short notice. Tugging the bright pink T-shirt on over my head, I let it hang down and study myself in the mirror. The shirt is two sizes too large, but I just tuck the front into my shorts. Brushing out my hair that is crinkled from braids, I do it up in a bun before heading back into the room.

"Oh, good. They look alright," Harlow appraises, giving me another smile. "Maybe sometime this week we can take you shopping for your own clothes."

I bite the inside of my cheek before replying, "Or I could just get my own things from home."

Harlow's eyes widen as she understands the implication of what I just said. "You're thinking of moving in here so quickly? That's a big decision to make. Don't you want to get to know our pack first? Get to know Malachi?"