Chapter 39

3592 words

Something might finally be making sense.

After weeks of contradictions and questioning Malachi, I might finally be understanding his strange behaviour. It's always changing.

One moment he'll hold me tenderly and say how much he wants to be with me, and another he'll be so cold and shut me out. At another time, he'll rescue me with wings like an angel, then yet again, in rare moments like last night, a deep passionate lust will come over him and he'll hold me so tight that I can taste his dark desires for me.
I don't know what to make of it, besides that there is much more going on here than I first thought.

With the books about demons and angels in my bag, and my violin encased in my backpack, I make my way towards DoubleEdge territory. I don't mind the walk. I spent most of the night tossing restlessly in bed, wondering just what had happened between us. I thought about everything I've learnt so far, about Seneca and what I've seen, what I've dreamt about, and come to some conclusions.

Demons could be messing with us, trying to control the Alpha and his family, trying to destroy the goodness so they can carry out their evil plans. Whatever they are, I don't know.

Maybe I just have wild fantasies that aren't real.

Maybe I am just losing my mind.

Maybe ever since watching my parents get torn to shreds in front of me, I've seen darkness in the light and hideous creatures in the shadows. I could be trying to make sense of a cruel world that deserves to burn in the fires of Hell. Who even believes in that anyway? Sure, some ancient prophets predicted things, saw things, drew pictures of creatures that don't exist and claimed they live in some realm between worlds.

Crazy.

I'm crazy.

That's all I can conclude.

"Ariella? We didn't expect you back for a couple more days."

I flinch at the interruption to my thoughts, and look up to see Harlow on the path ahead. The Alpha's estate is a few hundred meters away, and I didn't realise how close I was.

"Oh, I was always planning to come back right after Fire Night. Is Malachi around?"
I've just been walking all afternoon and must look a mess. I tuck my hair behind my ears and try not to let my bothered appearance make me feel inferior to the classy shewolf in front of me. She is dressed in gym clothes and I know she's just been training, yet still she looks so effortlessly beautiful.

"Sure. He just finished showing me some new combat moves he's been working on. He might still be down by the guard house with the other girls."

I try to ignore the flash of heat I feel from her words. Malachi ran from me last night...and straight to his old female friends.

"Thanks." I head down the hill, and see him surrounded by a group of young warriors. His eyes catch mine, making my heart thud heavily as he smiles. But it is brief. Gone in a moment, and his attention is back on training his pack members. So after giving a small wave,  I adjust my backpack, hiking it further up my shoulder, and head back to his place.
To my home.

I shouldn't feel upset, like I've been brushed aside. I can hear that his heart rate picked up when I came close, but I know he is busy and couldn't speak to me just now. I know there are so many things on his mind, and what is going on between us is just a complication.
As Alpha, he doesn't have time for that.

Or does he?

We're mates. We should make time to discuss just what on earth is going on with us.