Chapter 42

4829 words

I'm on the verge of a breakthrough.

Or a breakdown.

I don't know what to think. Too many stories, too many emotions. Too many hurts staining the past that I'm not sure I can handle one more painful truth.

Malachi had a sister. Dennison and his true mate Krystal had a daughter called Violet before the Luna died, and then he married Seneca who gave birth to Malachi. Violet was then murdered, crushing the already grieving family and pack. This probably drove Dennison into even deeper insanity.

I find it hard to blame him for mistakes and cruel attitudes that had probably originated from a broken heart. Maybe Joaquina and her weird potions had nothing to do with it. Maybe he always had an arrogant streak, but the tragedy of losing both his mate and daughter drove him to be heartless in his pride and dominant tendencies.

And as if that wasn't enough to think over, I'm holding books and journals in my lap that tell of battles with demons. I'm looking at pictures that don't really resemble my visions, but are close enough. Perhaps demons are shapeshifters like us. Maybe no two people see them in the same light.
Or darkness.

I assume the shadows that conceal them are meant to hide their true shape and intentions.

I'm so tired of this. Resting my head back on the arm of the loveseat and stretching out my legs like a kitten bathed in warm sunlight, I close my eyes and force myself to relax. Malachi still has to work, and I have to be ready to bite my tongue when he comes home unwilling to share anything.

But he has. He has shared so much with me last night and this morning, and I am grateful. Finally, he is opening up to me. In bits and pieces, snatches over the last few weeks, he has told me things, let me see his emotions that I'm sure no one else has.

My mate is so layered, so many levels and facets of complexity, I am beginning to comprehend the lifetime it will take to unwrap his heart.

And I am earnestly looking forward to it.

We just need to put a stop to the brutal murders going on, and find out just what our dreams of death mean before a battle with supernatural beings breaks out.

Nothing big.

Nothing we can't handle together.
Together...

As the warm rays of light dance on my skin, I remember the warm touch of Malachi against me all night, his body etching mine in security and mystery. I can still smell his toasty chestnut scent that lingers on my jacket, and I pull the collar up and breathe it in. Wrapped in this cocoon, my mind wanders to the beautiful future we envisioned together last night.
I can only pray that those dreams come true, and not the horrible ones keeping us both awake at night.

The house is empty as I lie here, lost in Malachi's scent and the quietness of the morning. But wait... is it? A new awareness slinks in, or perhaps it is just a muffled voice, full of tension. I sit up and tune my ears, deciding I am definitely hearing something.

I tiptoe out of the office to investigate. After going down the hall and up the curved staircase, I realise I am still being silent and holding my breath. I feel foolish for sneaking around in my own home, and throw my shoulders back. However, only moments later as I approach the wing where I don't normally go, I realise it is Seneca's voice, muttering low and angrily with someone. I automatically go back to creeping, keeping my footsteps as light as possible.

As I reach the end of the hall that opens into Seneca's suite, I hesitate.

"It wasn't meant to happen like this..."