Chapter 36

3246 words

"He really hasn't changed at all."

"Who?"

"Caleb. Who else would I be talking about!" Lexi placed the stack of plates in a cupboard then wiped the sink dry, and turned a raised eyebrow to her Alpha.

"Oh, right. What about him?" Chesca asked while hanging up the dish towel. The kitchen was now tidy and clean from the dinner preparations thanks to Lexi's help, but she knew by breakfast the next morning, it would once again be it's usual mess.

"I saw him chatting to Miranda the other day, down by the lake. You know the spot by the pines? Private. Romantic. He was standing so close to her like he always used to. Leaning, if you know what I mean."

Chesca groaned and poured the freshly boiled kettle of water into her teapot. Soon the scent of black tea with rose buds permeated the air, and Chesca felt herself instantly unwinding with just the anticipation of a good cup of tea. This time of night, when her pups were in bed, was a part of the day she looked forward to. Because though she loved her family dearly, there was something about peaceful alone time that settled and recharged her.

"So he's still around? Why can't we just get rid of him before he causes any more trouble. I don't have the time or energy to be worrying about him right now," she carried the tea to the living room with Lexi following.

After pouring the steaming tea, she curled up on the couch while her best friend took the other end. It had been a long afternoon, finishing off some school tests with her children before Lexi arrived. They had then spent hours talking all about Chesca's pregnancy, and how Chesca was worried for the unborn pup. He seemed to be unusually active lately, more so than was normal. Lexi discussed possible causes, then joked that maybe the baby was just anxious to get out and play with his brother and sisters. The older pups already adored their baby sibling and couldn't wait for him to be finally born. Chesca prayed every hour of every day that nothing was wrong and all would be well.

"Tell that to your stubborn mate. Why is it that some men are just blinded to reason in certain areas? I heard Kaiden telling Benny that the decision is up to Miranda. If she wants to accept him back into her life, then so be it. But personally, I think Caleb will try to charm her again, and someone will just get hurt. Again."

Chesca had to agree with Lexi, to some extent. "But...Miranda isn't like she used to be. She can see through charm, and she won't forgive him so easily for how he treated her. The years have toughened her."

"As they have us all." With a heavy sigh, Lexi stared at the coffee table, at the intricate scrollwork on the legs, and seemed to be looking back in the past. Things had been so easy as young teens and adults. No pain, no regrets, no responsibilities that came weighed with hundreds of lives. The decisions they had to make weren't often life-changing.

Yet now, Chesca mused as she absently caressed her growing pup in her belly, so many things hung in the balance of the choices they made as mature adults. She herself had four children who depended on her and a mate who relied on her for so many things. Lexi also was responsible for so many lives in the pack, as well as coping with her own hurts and insecurities. Life was so different for her than what she had envisioned, and at times Chesca wondered how she was really doing.

"So you said Ariella is home for a few days?" Chesca prodded, afraid to see Lexi getting too lost in her thoughts.

She snapped her eyes up to the Alpha's. "Yes. Well, I don't know if you would call it home. She lives with her Alpha mate now, so that is her home. She doesn't need to keep feeling tied to this place, to the people..."