Chapter 60

2861 words

"Malachi!" My lungs burn with fire and I shove myself forward, ready to throw myself at him despite the dangerous glow in his eyes.

But I am arrested by a firm hand on my shoulder, roughly pulling me back. "You're not going anywhere, Missy," a low voice growls.

I look up in time to see my father's eyes flicker before he focuses on my mate, a deep frown creasing his forehead. I can understand his parental concern, and that he doesn't want me to rush straight to someone who looks so deadly.

For Malachi is smiling at me smugly now, the crimson glow in his irises twinkling in time with the burning fire in the centre of this clearing. His expression is full of lust, and the twitch of his full lips is beckoning me closer. I shudder as the black waves that exude from his body slither out and reach for me.

"Don't tell me you're scared of your own mate, Ariella," Malachi drawls slowly, his tone so different to the pained cries of before.

Then, he seemed afraid that I had showed up, and desperate that I should leave and not see whatever was going on.

Now, he is taunting me to come closer, daring me to make one move otherwise. His muscles flex against the rare metal that binds him, his broad chest and chiselled abdominals glistening in the flickering light. My gaze rakes over his powerful body, and the urge to run my hands over his skin suddenly engulfs me in a drugged haze.

"I know you still want me, little wolf. Just one taste and I'm all yours," he whispers loud enough for me to hear, his smooth voice deepened with lust. My mouth goes dry as I see the predatory gleam in his eyes, and I force myself to look away. I begin to feel sickened that I would be attracted to this dark side of him, and curse the pull of the remaining bond.

"I'm surprised she's even here," Seneca says cooly, drawing my attention from Malachi and his unwavering stare that remains heavy on me. "I thought you rejected her, son?" she asks Malachi, and he gives a rough laugh in response.

"I did. But obviously she's more foolish than I thought. I can feel the bond still, weak yet pulsing. She didn't accept the rejection, did you sweetheart?" he asks me.

Swallowing greedily in an effort to rid myself of a parched throat, I come up with a response. "I have always been foolish when it comes to you, Malachi. I know you're better than this, and that is why I didn't accept it. You claimed me as yours. I believe you still want us to be together despite your desperate attempts to push me away. You can fight this. You're better and stronger than whatever demon is possessing your soul," I say bravely, for as I look in his eyes, I can't help but believe the crimson and obsidian irises staring back at me languidly house a very dangerous demon. He is possessed, and the throb in my heart wants nothing more than to rid him of this beast.

He throws his head back and laughs, the sound echoing around the trees and bouncing roughly between my ears like a pack of cackling hyenas. "There is no demon inside me, as you eloquently put it." Even his voice is deeper. Sultry and confident in the face of my quivering nerves. "I am a demon, yet you have been too blind to see it."

His words slap against my mind, buzzing like angry wasps that sting and sting again.

They make no sense. He is not a demon. Besides, I would have known if he was. Wouldn't I? Don't I have this special sense to see beyond this realm, and what lurks beyond? Malachi is very much an Alpha male, one I have touched and felt his raw power, and I don't for a second think he is a demon from the spiritual realm. Sure, there is something inside him, but beneath that hidden layer of darkness and evil is a light that is dying to break forth and shine.