Chapter 69

6502 words

"Are you ready?"

I hum, shrugging a shoulder non-committedly. "Not yet. I just want to feel more relaxed before we go back." I brush my fingers over the last remaining heath that grows on the hillside behind my parents' house, the feathery petals so soft under my touch. Gabby walks with me, patiently letting me inhale the fresh scents of the country air, feeling the early morning sunlight tingle on my skin and infuse me with warmth.

After having stayed with my parents last night, I'm eager to get back to my mate and begin our ceremony. I feel so distant and empty without him by my side, but my mom and dad needed the comfort of my presence after losing me. It shook them more than they admitted, and I could sense the hollow look in their eyes and the heaviness of their spirits even though our bond had been forged again. Lexi especially couldn't seem to hug me tightly enough after losing her second child, then experiencing the shock, joy, and relief of finding me alive again. I couldn't bear to let them go back to their quiet house. Malachi and I will have forever together, so I knew being with them for one last night was important.

Malachi was reluctant to let me go, but eventually reminded himself he had work to do in his log cabin, and that he wanted it to be all ready to take me home to after our ceremony. I pray he got some sleep and didn't work on it all night just to distract himself from my absence.

As it was, I lay in my old bed and replayed in my mind every look, every word, every touch I'd shared with my mate since when we first met. All those weeks ago when we'd glimpsed each other through the trees and across the border; when I'd seen him on the cliff overlooking our territory; when I'd caught his scent drifting outside my window on dark moon-hidden nights.

Every memory I now view in a new light, every dark look he gave me and silent contemplative expressions he'd have when I tried looking into his heart. Every dismissive gesture; every time he turned his back on me. Every tender gesture as he tucked my hair behind my ears; every soft smile that brightened his eyes when he thought I hadn't noticed him staring at me. They all whisper something new to my soul, and though so many days were lonely and painful, I cherish each one for where it led us today. Our journey truly is precious and I wouldn't change it even if the King gave me another choice.

Every painful moment has turned us into the compassionate and loving Alpha and Luna that his pack needs.

My heart beats nervously just thinking of the very real responsibilities I will now face the moment I step back across the border.

"You miss her, don't you?" I suddenly ask, catching a quietly distant look in Gabby's sapphire eyes.

"Are you changing the subject?" she whips her head towards me.

"Are you?"

She sighs, "I suppose. We spent so much time together, and I kind of thought we'd have forever. Luci was a devil, but we had our similarities despite the obvious differences."

I nod, both of us reminiscing about our friend.

Gabby continues with a frown and melancholy voice, "She deserved finally being dragged to hell, and I knew nothing could change her fate. She made her decision a long time ago, and even if she ever regretted it, it was too late."

"So she never really cared for me? I really thought she was a friend."

Gabby shakes her head regretfully. "They're good at acting. Lies were her second language. I guess some days she was nicer than others, but she'd sworn her allegiance to Lucius and the deceit he loved to dance with. Demons will never change their ways, no matter how much I wish they might."