Chapter 2 - Ten Dollars

17 Years Ago

     Training at the Umbrella Academy was a regular occurrence. Wether it was one on one, with one of us - minus Vanya - and Hargreeves, or all of us competing - yet again, minus Vanya - in some task that Hargreeves would set us like a race, or some other sort of challenge.
     Today was one of those days. Though, Hargreeves was really putting our physical agility and strength to the test. The only time we were able to stop for a break was only for mealtimes, and even they were cut short.
     A few of the tasks we were put through were running through different parts of the house, done long corridors, narrow corridors, round the fountain in the garden until we literally couldn't go anymore and now, up a narrow spiral staircase.

     The seven of us were huddled at the bottom of the stairs, dressed in green tracksuits with two white stripes going down either side of the torso and legs. It was different from what we would normally wear whilst training but I guess today wasn't a test of our powers like usual.
     We all looked up, expectant and waiting as Hargreeves wrote a few notes down in his usual maroon book. Five tapped me on the shoulder and whilst trying not to lose focus, so I would still hear the sound of the whistle when Vanya blew it, I turned to face him.
     'What do you want to bet that I will end up infront of you?' He asked in a whisper tone.
     'How about everything because it's not going to happen?' I thought about this for a minute since I did know Five could spatial jump and I couldn't, 'What about five dollars? Fitting, don't you think?' I added with a little giggle.
     'Yeah, yeah whatever. But, you have to double it if I win. And the same applies for you, of course.' Five said, just managing to slip the last part in before I protested that it wasn't fair.
     'Deal.' I said with a smirk on my face as we shook hands, just in time too as Vanya at the top of the stairs had just blown her whistle.
     Luther was up the stairs first, obviously, and I was just behind Klaus in fourth place - tied with Five - with Allison and Ben behind us. Five and I playfully tried to push past each other but we were stuck behind Klaus as we all raced up the stairs. Thankfully, Allison managed to speed up and overtook Five, giving me space and time to just slip past Klaus. I was sitting - or rather, racing - comfortably at third. I was thinking about what I could possibly spend that five dollars on, maybe even ten if I won.
     But before I knew it, my ego was crushed slightly after Allison pushed past both Klaus then me and I was sent back to where I was. Though Five was second to last so at least I knew I was getting five dollars out of this.
     At this point, Diego had overtaken Luther and I was starting to feel a bit tired. My calves were aching and my chest was starting to feel a little tight, I pushed on but it was becoming increasingly more difficult. Why couldn't we be running on a flat surface? Stairs are so hard ...
     Round and round the stairs we went and I was feeling alright until I saw Five appear right at the front. The little cheater had used his spacial jumps to jump from second last, to first! I was so angry because I wasn't willing to give up ten dollars just because of some stupid bet.
     It seems that I wasn't the only one who was upset by this as I heard Diego's outraged voice from above me.
     'That's not fair, Five's cheating!' He didn't sound out of breath at all, which just made me confused because ... How?
     'He adapted.' Is all Hargreeves responded with as he watched comfortably from the top of the stairs.
     The more I ran and ran up these stupid stairs the more I thought about how I could use my powers. I knew it was bad, but I may have 'adapted' too. Hargreeves words, not mine.
     I tapped Allison on the shoulder lightly and she began to slow down, not for long though, just for long enough that I could over take her ... and Klaus ... and maybe Ben too.
     Sorry Allison.
     I mean, I wasn't that sorry otherwise I wouldn't have done it but still. We were almost at the top of the stairs and Five was still at the front but almost within my reach. If I could only get Luther and Diego out of the way.
     But it was too late, Five had reached the top of the stairs first, followed by Diego, Luther, me, Klaus, Allison then Ben. Allison didn't look too happy with me but it was just a stupid race so who cared.
     I mean, I cared. I just lost ten dollars.

     Dinner after that was silent like usual, no speaking or communication. Though since me and Five sat opposite each other we would usually just smile or try and mouth words at each other across the table. That never really worked but we tried anyway, it always ended in weird but interesting conversations, half of which was probably completely and utterly wrong.
     After dinner I dragged myself up the stairs to my room, my legs were aching and climbing the stairs felt like climbing Mount Everest with no rope or equipment to help me up.
     I collapsed face first into my bed that felt so soft and bouncy, I felt like just falling asleep like this but Five had different plans. My door was open but he still decided to bang his fists on my door just to be annoying.
     'What do you want?' I shouted into my sheets, though it just came out as a muffled mess.
     'I don't really know what you just said, but I would like my ten dollars. I did win it fair and square.' Five said as he waltzed in and sat down in the hammock chair that was hung from the ceiling.
     I sat up in my bed with my legs crossed, hugging a fluffy pillow. Five just sat in the chair, swinging back and forth slightly, smiling widely at me. I furrowed my brows at him and walked over to the mustard coloured vanity by my window.
     On top of the vanity was a small, baby pink piggy bank that I picked up and turned over in my hands before pulling out the plug and letting the money fall onto the desk. I picked up a ten dollars bill and left the rest of it lying in a pile.
     Five held out his hand for the money but I didn't give it to him, instead I ran out of my room with the money held tightly in my hand.
     Five chased me round the huge house for ages, he almost managed to catch me by using his spatial jumps but because of my ability to jump back to a previous place it wasn't that hard to dodge him. It was playful and fun but I could tell Five was determined to get it.
     At one point when I looked behind me to taunt him, he had taken this opportunity to spatial jump infront of me when I wasn't paying attention. Before I could do anything, I had crashed into him and we ended up wrestling on the floor for this ten dollar bill. Eventually he had managed to pin me down by my wrists and stole the money from my hand before I had a chance to jump back and keep running away.
     'I'm still too quick for you I see.' He said in a mocking tone before disappearing, not before he laughed in my face though.
     I sat up, feeling a bit defeated but still laughing about it before I jumped back to my room, lying face down on my bed again.