Chapter 8 - Disastrous

When I walked back down the stairs, I was met with everyone walking outside, looking sombre. I guessed it was time to spread the old man's ashes.
     Five waited for me, holding his closed umbrella loosely in his hand as the two of us walked outside together.
     'It's weird, being back. So much has changed.' I said, trying to ignore the feeling of dread that I seemed to be getting so often now. Sometimes I really did hate being psychic.
     'Yeah, well, we've just got to hope we can save it all in the next eight days.' Five replied, opening up the umbrella and holding it over the two of us as we walked out into the cold and the rain.
     'No pressure.' I mumbled under my breath as all of us stopped by the fountain and Ben's statue. I glanced at it momentarily, feeling sadness and guilt before looking at Luther who stood infront of us, holding the urn.
     I looked to my right to see Klaus huddled under a small transparent umbrella, lined with bright pink waterproof material - it looked like it was intended for a six year old girl. He held his coat tightly around him as he shivered.
     Seeing Klaus shiver made me realise how cold I was too, being outside in a skirt when it was this cold wasn't the best decision, but what other option did I have? It seems Five noticed my shivers as he pulled me in close to him, keeping me warm under his arm as he sheltered me from the rain by the umbrella. I immediately felt a lot better.
     'Did something happen?' Grace asked, she looked as if she was trying to smile and continue to be happy but her confusion showed. It was hard seeing her like this, she was so different before.
     'Dad died. Remember?' Allison replied in a dismal tone.
     'Oh. Yes, of course.' Grace mumbled, shifting slightly where she stood. Something seemed wrong with her but I pushed those thoughts away to the back of my mind.
     'Is Mom okay?' Allison asked Diego, who I just realised hadn't brought out an umbrella.
     He looked soaking wet, the rain seemed to have seeped through his jumper and perhaps even his jacket as everything he wore had a damp shine to it. His hair and face were dripping wet, drops of water cascaded down his nose and cheeks. The tip of his nose and the tops of his ears were bright pink from the cold, just looking at him made me feel colder than I already felt.
     'Yeah, yeah, she's fine.' Diego had replied to Allison slowly, 'She just needs to rest. You know, recharge.' He continued as he faced a distraught looking Grace.
     Once Diego finished, Pogo had joined us, holding an umbrella in his left hand and resting on his walking stick in his right hand. I hadn't seen Pogo since I'd woken up. We shared a remorseful smile.
     'Whenever you're ready, dear boy.' Pogo said to Luther, who then took the lid off the urn slowly.
     He lifted it up and poured the ashes out for the wind to carry away. Except, there was no wind. The ashes fell into a pitiful pile on the floor amongst the dirt and the leaves, creating a pile of grey mess.
     I looked up at Five who shared the same unpleasant look as I did.
     'Probably would have been better with some wind.' Luther stated quietly as I stepped in closer to Five, the cold biting at me constantly.
     'Does anyone wish to speak?' Pogo asked, breaking the awkward silence that hung so heavily at this moment.
     I caught a glimpse of Diego past Five, he looked annoyed. He looked as if he was holding back thoughts that would come back to bite if he didn't express them now. I felt in a twinge in my stomach but decided not to act on my feelings. If something was going to happen, I say let it.
     'Very well.' Pogo said to no one in particular as he shuffled slightly, thinking of how to start, 'In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreeves made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master ... and my friend, and I shall miss him very much.
     'He leaves behind a complicated legacy --'
     'He was a monster.' Diego interrupted. The only person to react was Klaus, he laughed as he held his freshly lit blunt between his fingers.
     'He was a bad person and a worse father. The world's better off without him.'
     'Diego.' Allison said sternly.
     'My name is Number Two.' Diego replied, sounding upset and angry. 'You know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had Mom do it.'
     I rested my head on Five's arm, we both looked at the ground at our feet as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. I didn't want to get involved with this, I could tell Five didn't either.
     'Would anyone like something to eat?' Grace said, seemingly desperate to lighten the mood.
     'No, it's okay, Mom.' Vanya replied.
     'Oh, okay.' Grace responded softly, smiling wide.
     'Look, you wanna pay your respects?' Diego stepped forward and stood infront of us, as if ready to give a speech. 'Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man he was.'
     'You should stop talking now.' Luther said, sounding serious.
     There it was again; that almost painful twinge in my stomach. All I could see in my mind was pain. Not physical pain, but emotional.
     'You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One.' Diego stepped closer to Luther as he said this.
     'I am warning you.'
     I stepped even closer to Five, he had been looking around at everyone with a stern face but it immediately lifted when he saw me.
     'What's wrong?' He whispered, easily not being heard over the scene playing out infront of us.
     'I don't know. Just something about this ... it just doesn't sit right with me. Nothing really has since I woke up.' I mumbled back to him, feeling more confused than upset about everything as Diego stepped closer to Luther. I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying but their voices were getting louder.
     Before I had even processed what was happening, Luther had pushed Diego away whilst swinging for him with both fists. Diego had managed to dodge Luther's punches but not without responding with a few punches of his own.
     Everyone backed away, apart from Five and I. Honestly, after the feeling deep in my gut had disappeared, I felt fine. Knowing that it was only a fight between Luther and Diego was a relief, watching Diego and Luther fight each other didn't bother me that much. It reminded me of how they would fight each other when we were younger.
     Of course, that was sixteen years ago now.
     Klaus tried to shield us from them. He put his arm out infront of me and Five whilst ushering us back. Five responded how I guessed he would, he slapped Klaus' hand away and gave him a dirty look. It honestly made me giggle slightly, even if it seemed like the fight infront of us was getting worse.
     It definetely was getting worse.

     As it escalated, Pogo left, Vanya pleaded for them to stop and Klaus, being himself, cheered them on.
     'Hit him! Hit him!'
     After a while they finally broke away from each other, panting heavily as they both stared each other down.
     'We don't have time for this. Come on, Y/N, let's go inside.' Five said, sounding annoyed, as he turned and walked away, taking me with him.
     It was a blessing to be back inside, out of the cold and the wet. And away from the drama that could still be heard from indoors.