Chapter 5 - Loosing Hope

16 Years, 4 Months and 14 Days Ago

     It had been a few months since Hargreeves forced us to get those tattoos. Mine had finally seemed to settle, the red tinge had disappeared and the constant tingle vanished. Five would always check up on me, just to see if it was still hurting and if he could do anything to make it feel better. I'll always be grateful towards him, no matter how big or small his gestures were.
     Five always dropped his harsh and sometimes bitter manner around me, something he wouldn't do for any of the others. It always reminded me of how close we were, we were the Dream Team of the Academy.
     No one ever breaks up the Dream Team.
     It had been a long day today, my training with Hargreeves was hell. He just kept pushing and pushing me, so I lashed out. Before I had even realised it, I had started shouting at him. Letting out all these thoughts and feelings that I didn't even know I had bottled up.
     It seems that the whole Academy had been alerted of the drama as when I had stormed upstairs, Five was waiting for me. Stood at the top of the stairs, a pained look on his face, his arms wide open for me.
     I didn't say a word. I just walked into his arms and rested my head lazily on his chest, wrapping my arms around him tight. It was there that I started crying again. I had been holding so many emotions in that the slightest thing had set me off. Like a volcano ready to erupt at any moment.
     Crying like this made me feel so weak but being held tightly in Five's arms made me feel so much better. Like I had someone to rely on in this shithole.

     By the time we had gone back down to the living room and talked for a bit, Grace had rang the bell. Signalling it was time for dinner. I walked into the dining area with Five, both of us standing behind our seats - awaiting Hargreeves.
     Just a few seconds after everyone was behind their chairs, Hargreeves strolled in and took the position behind his own at the head of the table.
     'Sit.' He demanded before sitting down himself, watching as we all followed.
     I looked down at my food, my knife and fork in my hand. I didn't really feel like eating, I still felt annoyed at Hargreeves for setting me off like that. This whole place is a nightmare.
     I looked up and over the table at Five, he looked distressed. The look on his face spelled trouble and I started to worry. I didn't want Five to get in trouble. Especially if it was because he was angry about what happened with me earlier.
     Five's face became angrier as he held his knife in his hand. He kept fidgeting, not being able to focus on one thing. It was obvious that thoughts raced around in his mind, I could tell by the look on his face.
     As I continued to watch him, that feeling of dread formed in me. Something bad was going to happen, I didn't know what or how soon but as time ticked on it got worse and more prominent as I tried to ignore it.
     Sometimes I really hated being psychic.
     Five finally looked at me, his face still angry, though it seemed to soften at the sight of me. I simply shook my head at him. He must have figured out that I could tell he was going to do something as he just shook his head back. Slowly and remorsefully before slamming his knife down into the table, the blade was lodged in almost an inch.
     'Number Five?' Hargreeves asked as he continued his meal.
     'I have a question.' Five answered, spite in his voice. I knew he was still upset about earlier and I felt awful. I shouldn't put all my problems on him.
     'Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson.'
     I still hadn't touched my food, the piece of Yorkshire pudding I had been playing with became soggy due to the amount of Gravy I had been dipping it in.
     Five pushed his plate away from him in protest. I honestly thought it was quite funny and wanted to laugh but figured it was best not to, I had a habit of finding serious situations funny. Not a good thing if you lived at the Academy.
     'I want to time travel.' Five stated. I dropped my fork into my plate, earning a few looks from Luther and Allison.
     'No.' Hargreeves replied plainly.
     'But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said.' Five got up from his chair and spatial jumped to Hargreeves' side with ease. It was impressive but nothing was ever enough to impress Hargreeves. 'See?'
     'A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn.' Hargreeves stated matter-of-factly before taking a sip of his drink and placing the goblet back down onto the table gently.
     'Well, I don't get it.' Five replied after a few seconds.
     'Hence the reason you're not ready.'
     The look on Five's face looked like one of pure hatred, and I didn't blame him. Though the feeling in the room was tense and it felt like someone was screaming in my ear that something bad was going to happen. I couldn't ignore it any longer, hard as I tried.
     Five glanced at me and I shook my head again, scared that whatever this feeling was was about him. I didn't want something bad to happen to him, he was the person I was closest to in this whole universe.
     'I'm not afraid.'
     'Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore.' Hargreeves demanded before going back to his meal.
     The hatred clouded Five's judgment. It was obvious. I took one more pleading look at him but it was no use, he had already stormed out.
     'Number Five!' Hargreeves shouted after him.
     I don't quite know what made me do it, but I had forced myself out of my chair without realising. The chair legs screeching awfully along the floor as Five's footsteps echoed down the hall. I chased after him, not wanting him to leave, not wanting to let go.
     'Number Six! Neither of you have been excused! Come back here!'
     I ignored his yelling, only caring about one thing: Five.
     I rushed to the doors, seeing them close just as I rounded the corner. The gates, just swinging back and forth as I crashed through them. Five, half way down the street.
     'Five? Five!' I shouted down the street, wanting him to turn around, to come back.

     But I was too late. He had disappeared. I had no idea where he went, or even when he went, when he would come back or even if he would come back.
     'Fi ... Five?' My bottom lip began to tremble and my voice shook as I stammered and stumbled over my words.
     There was a sudden feeling of tightness in my chest, my vision darkened and my mind raced with thoughts. I stepped back and ended back up in my room where I had been this morning. I closed my door and paced around my room, looking from my mirror, to my wardrobe, to my bed, to my record player and back to my bed.
     A sudden idea popped into my head.
     I had no idea when or where he was. If I stopped my own timeline completely, whenever he comes back, he could wake me up. It would be like nothing would have changed.

  I laid down on my bed and made sure I was comfortable before clenching my fists. Closing my eyes, I focused all the energy and power I had to slow the process of my own life down until it stopped completely.
     I was stuck, frozen in time.
     And I would be until Five comes back and works out how to wake me up.
     He could do it.
     I know he could.
     He's so smart ...