Chapter 11 - Telling Vanya?

I got in the car first, playing the events of what just happened in my head. Trying to make sense of it. I hadn't even realised when Five had gotten into the car, slamming the door behind him rather harshly to pull me out of my trance.
     "So," Five said as he started the car. "Where to start?" He continued, talking more to himself, I guess that must have become second nature to him after spending so much time alone. I couldn't even imagine.

     It was a crazy story - to put it lightly. Five told me everything. Every little detail, each fact about some time travelling, murderous agency. Not exactly the way he put it, but it's what I took it as. I think I also heard him mention something about a Twinkie? I guess I must have been hearing things when my imagination started to picture everything that Five was telling me. By the time the car had stopped, I seemed to have taken in some of what I was just told. Five had parked the car messily on a sidewalk in front of a block of apartments.
     "Where are we?" I asked as I looked out my window to the building, a few lights were shining through a few of the windows.
     "Vanya lives here, I'm going to tell her about everything. Aside from you, she's the only one I can trust." He said calmly as he got out the car and stood on the sidewalk, looking up at the building. I quickly followed, rushing over to him once I was on my feet.
     "Wait, are you sure? I mean- but- hey! Don't you walk away from me." As I was thinking over if Five really should tell her, he started off up the stairs. I rushed after him, "Ok, ok, if you choose to trust her then I will too. I just don't have a very good feeling about this, but then again that's been happening a lot lately." I said more to myself.
     I was still highly doubting if telling Vanya was the best thing to do, why not tell Allison or Klau- actually no, not him. But Allison seems a better option than Vanya, to me atleast, something about Vanya just makes me feel ... off.

     We made it up to Vanya's apartment, I don't even know how Five knew which one it was, and Five knocked - rather loudly - on her door. It didn't take her long to answer and soon we were both sat in her dimly lit apartment. Vanya got us both some drinks and she sat next to me on the sofa, Five sat on a small armchair next to us, under a golden floor lamp. He took one sip of his drink before he exhaled, thinking of where to start his story I imagined.
     "So, why are you two here?" Vanya finally asked as she looked between me and Five, I just shrugged my shoulders and looked over at the boy across from me. Yes, I knew what happened now but I still didn't fully understand it all myself.
     "I have something to tell you. It's about where I've been and what happened to me while I was there. It is imperative that you listen and understand exactly what I'm about to tell you, understand?" Five said in a very serious tone towards Vanya, she looked taken aback.
     "Wha- I, Y/N, do you know about this?" Vanya stammered over her words as she spoke, it was clear she had no idea what to think of the situation. And I was the obvious person to go for help?
     "Uh, yeah. Five just told me something like ten minutes ago. It's a long story so, get comfy is my only suggestion." I took a sip of my drink and leant back, letting myself slide down the sofa slightly as Five started speaking.

     And for the second time in one night, Five recounted the events of his past - but also future - life in the apocalypse. I have to admit, hearing it for a second time really helped me understand everything. I wonder though, why didn't he just tell us both at the same time? It would have been easier and he could have saved some breath. I'm hoping it was because he felt it was important that I knew first, although that most likely wasn't the case, it made me happy to believe that it was.

     "Y/N. Y/N?" I felt someone shaking me and instinctively looked at the source, in doing so I came face to face with Five. I felt my face turn slightly pink but I don't think Five saw as he stared into my eyes, trying to work out what was going on in my brain.
     "Huh? What? Yeah. What is it?" I blurted out as Five sat back down in his chair, letting go of my shoulder and letting out a little chuckle at my zoning out.
     "As I was saying, I survived on scraps. Canned food, cockroaches, anything I could find." Five continued. I felt bad that I had zoned out and lost track of what he was saying, it wasn't like me to lose focus like that, so I made sure to listen intently to him as he spoke. "You know that rumour that Twinkies have an endless shelf life? Well, it's total bullshit." I knew that I had heard something about a Twinkie.
     "I can't even imagine." Vanya stated, her voice was quiet and held back as she spoke. I wondered what made her grow up to be so scared of everything, scared to be seen, to make any noise incase she inconvenienced somebody. I didn't get it.
     "You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die. So we adapted." Wait, we? I don't remember Five mentioning anything about 'we' before. I took a sip of my drink as he spoke, I was thinking long and hard about who else could have been with him. There was no one else left alive, unless someone from the weird time traveling agency was with him? I guess it didn't matter, I was just curious.
     "You got anything stronger?" Five asked Vanya, shaking his glass at her as I came back to reality once more.
     "Uh, sure. Y/N, do you want anything else?"
     "No, I'm fine. Thanks though." I smiled at her and watched as the two walked over to the kitchen that seemed as though it was shoved into the apartment as an afterthought. It was kind of sad that she lived here, I don't understand why she doesn't just live back at the old house, it's definitely big enough.

     I myself got up and walked around, not paying any interest to the conversation happening in the kitchen as I looked at everything. Her apartment was rather bare, holding no pictures which I thought was strange. She had a lot of books which were stacked neatly in a tall bookshelf next to a fireplace. There were a few music stands next to a box on the floor with her violin, in its case, resting on top. I walked over to a small cabinet with a lamp on top and opened the drawer, I know I probably shouldn't be looking through her things but I'm sure she wouldn't mind, we've been friends for a long time, I guess. Inside the drawer was just an old magazine along with a few violin strings. I reached out to pick them up and as soon as I touched them, an uneasy feeling washed over me. I couldn't describe it in words, but the feeling disappeared as soon as I let go of the violin strings and closed the drawer.
     I walked back over to Five and Vanya, deciding to ignore what just happened.
     "This was a mistake. You're too young ... too naive to understand. Come on, Y/N, maybe you were right." Five said as he put down his glass and headed for the door, ignoring Vanya talking over him, asking him to stay.
     "I haven't seen you - either of you - in a long time, and I don't want to lose you again." Vanya pleaded as I stood up, setting my now empty glass down on the small coffee table by the sofa. I kind of felt bad but then again, she could have come to see me whenever she liked. It's not like I was on the moon or something. "That's all. And you know what, it's getting late, and ... I have lessons early, and I need to sleep, and I'm sure you two need to, too."
     Five and I shared a glance as she walked over to the sofa, picking up blankets and setting them down. I think both of us agreed that staying here was not preferable. 
     "Here. We can all talk in the morning again. Okay? I promise." She laid the blankets out on the sofa and fluffed a few of the pillows before smiling meekly at us as she walked by. "Night."
     "Night." Five and I replied in unison as I walked around and sat on the sofa, stretching as I realised just how tired I was.
     "We're not really going to spend the night are we? I know it's hard to believe but I miss my bed." Five came and sat down next to me as I spoke. He pulled out the same camo green rag that he showed me when he woke me up, and pulled out the same prosthetic eye, examining it.
     "Do you have any idea who it belongs to?"
     Five simply sighed and shook his head in response as he turned it over in his hand to reveal some small text that I couldn't read. "I'm guessing this will lead us to them though. Come on let's go home." He stood up and I followed him to the door. He opened it but didn't leave before glancing around one last time and swiftly exiting, I walked out behind him and quietly closed the door.
     We walked down the flights of stairs and got back in the car, Five started the engine and we drove home. After everything that happened today I was exhausted so as soon as we got inside, I said goodnight to Five, went into my room and collapsed onto my bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N]

OK I don't normally do author's notes but I will for this one to say one thing: IM SORRY. IM AWFUL. I've been lazy and haven't updated this when I should have, then I've had this in my drafts for a few weeks but just couldnt bring myself to edit it and make sure there were no spelling/grammar mistakes etc. This was posted the 8th of July and im currently working on the next chapter so if it doesn't come out in the next few days, shout at mr until it's up :). Also I'm soooo excited for season 2! I just saw the trailer and omg it looks so good, I wont spoil anything but you should definitely watch it for yourself! I'm gonna aim to get all of season 1 finished before season 2 comes out - hopefully.

Also I'm gonna start putting word counts at the bottom of the stories so I can't get away with writing a chapter under 1000 words

Wordcount: 1725