Chapter 4 - Okay

17 Years Ago

     It was the next day, and when I woke up, I felt so incredibly tired. After going to bed much later than I would any other night, it wasn't a surprise that Grace had to come in my room and physically shake me awake. Though, when she left I didn't move, for my bed felt so warm and cosy that I didn't want to leave. Being wrapped up in my soft duvet with all my fluffy pillows made the outside world seem so much worse.
     It felt like I had to physically peel myself out of bed as I depressingly pushed the duvet back and sat on the edge, rubbing my eyes and yawning profusely. Half of me ached to get back into bed and sleep until tomorrow but I forced myself up and over to the large mirror that sat atop my vanity. The mirror was made up of three parts, one large centre part and two other parts on either side that were angled inward slightly. I stared at myself for a while before brushing my hair up into a high ponytail, pulling out small tufts of hair on either side of my face.
     'Eh whatever ...' It wasn't exactly the smoothest ponytail ever but it'll do, so I got up and walked over to my wardrobe, pulling out the same uniform I did every day and getting changed into it. I wish I had some clothes other than just this because everytime I opened my wardrobe door just to see the same navy colour, it was kind of depressing.
     Either way, I had no choice so I walked down the stairs and waited in the living room for breakfast to be ready. Everyone was there except Klaus, who was nowhere to be seen. I sat down next to Five on one of the sofas, Allison and Luther were sat on the one opposite us and were excitedly talking to each other.
     'Where's Klaus?' I ask Five who just laughed at my answer.
     'Still in his room. Guessing he's regretting eating all those donuts last night.' Five replied in an amused tone.
     'Or not, knowing Klaus.' I giggle before we hear the bell, signalling that breakfast was ready.
     We all filed in, Hargreeves didn't seem to care about the absence of Klaus as he ordered us to sit down. A record of some man speaking about venturing around the world was playing, stopping the room from falling into silence.
     Five and I did our usual during meal times, silently conversing across the table. I think we were talking about Pogo drinking banana flavoured liquor, but that doesn't sound right. Reading lips is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

     After breakfast was finished, we had barely left the dining area before Hargreeves stopped us.
     'There will be no training today. Today you will be receiving something, something that will show your loyalty to the Umbrella Academy for the rest of your days. Follow me.' He walked through the double doors to the entrance hall.
     There was a bald man with a large grey beard, covered in tattoos and dressed in black, sat on a small black stool next to a chair and a low, round table. Behind the chair was a bright light and on the table were two black objects.
     As we all stared at the man, perplexed, Klaus came down the stairs, looking slightly pale but otherwise fine.
     'Guess I missed breakfast?' He asked as he wandered over to the rest of us.
     Hargreeves gave him a disappointed look, no change from the ordinary. 'Klaus, since you are up late you can go first. Take off your blazer and sit in the chair.' He stated. 'Go on.'
     It was then that I realised what those metal objects were: tattoo guns. Hargreeves was making thirteen year olds get tattoos.
     This was a whole new low.
     'Vanya, upstairs. Now. You are not needed.' Hargreeves said with no emotion, not even looking at her. Her face was full of sorrow as she shuffled up the stairs.
     We didn't exactly feel sorry for her - yes, she was being forced out but none of us wanted these tattoos. It's not like getting them would be pleasant.
     Klaus sat in the chair, tense and rigid as the rest of us took off our own blazers. The man turned the tattoo gun on, the low buzzing sending chills down my spine.
     Grace stood by his side, checking he was alright throughout the whole process.
     Only four chairs were set up for us to sit in as we waited so I was stood, clenching and unclenching my hands.
     First it was Klaus, then Allison. She didn't take it very well and when it was Diego's turn, she was crying into Klaus' arms. Seeing her so stressed made me more nervous than I already was.
     As I sat in the last chair to wait, I found myself rocking back and forth slightly. My hands rested on my thighs with my fists clenched so tightly I could feel my nails digging into the palm of my hand. It was slightly painful but it tore my mind away from the fear.
     Thoughts and questions raced around in my mind.
     Was it really that bad?
     Will I cry?

    Will it hurt so much I won't be able to go through with it?
     What if -
     I was pulled out of my thoughts by the sudden feeling of a soft hand being placed upon mine.
     Five must have noticed my worrying as when I looked over, it was his hand that had been placed comfortingly on mine. My clenched fists slowly loosened and the burning pain that my fingernails had created in the palms of my hand started to fade. Even though I had calmed down, Five never removed his hand. He kept it there whilst Luther and Ben were getting tattooed and he kept it there until it was his turn. Though, he didn't leave without whispering in my ear.
     'Good luck, I'll be waiting for you if you're upset.'
     All throughout his tattoo, he didn't stop smiling at me. He was being so kind and it made me feel so at ease, even though it was obvious it was hurting him, he kept on a brave face, just for me.
     Eventually, Five got up. A new black tattoo of an umbrella in a circle on the inside of his left arm, the ink surrounded by blotches of red.
     I slowly got up and made my way over to the chair, sitting down and resting my left arm on the arm rest, facing upwards. I took a deep breath as the man dipped the needle of the gun into the ink and turned it on.
     As he touched my bare skin with it, I immediately felt an uncomfortable pain surrounding that area. The more progress he made, the larger the area of pain became.
     With each stab of the needle I tried to remember what Five said: 'Good luck, I'll be waiting for you if you're upset.'
     These words flashed around in my head everytime I thought of using my powers to escape. It was so tempting. It would be so easy. Just like rewinding a movie - even if it was just a few minutes.
     I took one look down at the tattoo. It was almost finished.
     Just a few more minutes.
     Only a few more minutes of this stinging pain that had spread to my finger tips and as far as my shoulder.
     Just a few more minutes of -
     There was sudden silence. No low buzzing. I looked down, it was finished. The man had turned the tattoo gun off and stood up, leaving me in the chair.
     The whole inside of my left arm was a mixture of red and pink. A burning pain radiating off of it, making my arm feel strangely warm and unpleasant.
     I got up and turned around, Five was the only one left as he waited for me to finish.
     I walked over to him and didn't say anything, I just hugged him. His soft embrace seemingly taking away from the searing pain in my left arm. As we stood still, hugging, I felt a warm trickle of water down my cheek. I sniffled, causing Five to pull away and look at my face.
     'No, don't cry. It's alright. Come on, let's go up to my room. We can listen to music, dance, talk. Do whatever you want. Okay?' He asked in a worried tone, it was obvious he didn't like seeing me upset like this.
     I smiled and wiped the stray tear from my face.
     'Okay.'