Chapter 10 - Istanbul, not Constantinople

I was curious as to how Five eventually managed to get back so, obviously, I was asking quite a few questions during the car ride for coffee. Though I didn't get much of an answer except for: 'It's complicated, I'll explain it all to you later.' or 'I'm not sure if it's right to tell you just yet, but I will. Eventually.' His answers only furthered my curiosity but I decided it would be best not to push, at least not when I knew I wasn't going to get an answer.
     The car screeched to a halt outside of a building, I looked up to see a bright, neon yellow and red sign with big lettering on it that read 'GRIDDY'S DOUGHNUTS'. The windows were decorated with several signs showing various things, the writing, colour and images on them had faded away. Leaving only saturated versions of what used to be there.
     There were no colours and only dim lights coming from inside, there was nothing bright nor welcoming about this place. The grimy windows made the inside look fuzzy and grey, stopping any customer from clearly seeing what was inside. The whole place looked like a shithole.
     Five and I walked towards the door, faint memories of me, Five and Klaus coming here so long ago pushed it's way into my head. But the place looked so different it seemed like my brain was tricking me into thinking something that wasn't true.
     I shared the same displeased look with Five before we walked in, an old man who was just leaving having opened the door for us. Five stormed passed him and I mumbled a small 'Thank you.' as I followed.
     When we were inside, it was dark and completely empty. The tables were barren but tidy, waiting for a customer - if there ever was one - to come sit at them. The main source of light came from the stands of donuts behind the bar, outshining the dull lights of the ceiling, desperately clinging to life.
     Five sat down in the very centre of the bar, a little silver bell sat infront of him. After I sat next to him on his right, he rang it impatiently as I heard someone walk in. I didn't bother to turn around and look, I just wanted my coffee now.
     The man made his way over to where we were and sat on the other side of Five, his feet dragging sluggishly along the floor as he walked. He placed his hat down on the table and undid his jacket. I glanced over to him for a second before averting my gaze to my hands that were rested on the bar.
     A woman finally came up to us from the back. She was quite small and also looked slightly frail, her long blonde hair was tied up into a high bun, she wore a light pink outfit you'd expect to see in a 60's style diner and looked to be in her mid to late sixties.
     She seemed to be the only person clinging onto this place, hoping to god that she doesn't run out of business. With the look of the place and customers, or lack there of, that might be soon.
     Before I had even realised it, I noticed I had been staring at her face, feeling like I recognised her. There was something about that blonde hair that stood out to me and when I finally remembered, it felt like I had been hit with an ice cream truck.
     She was the same woman that served us when I was last here! Seventeen years ago ...
     Can't believe she still works at this dump.
     I was sucked out of my thoughts when she turned her attention to me and Five, her pen poised, her little notepad out. Ready to take our order.
     'Can I get the kids glasses of milk or something?' She asked the man sitting next to us.
     Kids? Kids! I'll let her know that I've been on this earth for nearly thirty years, I may look thirteen but technically I'm not. But also, technically I am ... I don't know, the whole thing's a damn mess.
     'The kids want coffees. Black.' Five scoffed, I felt thankful that he replied for me, might have come off as a bit harsh if I did.
     The woman just looked slightly confused, switching her gaze between me and Five before looking at the man - who I'm now guessing she believes to be our father. 'Cute kids.'
     The man just furrowed his brows slightly, obviously not knowing how to respond other than pretending that nothing's wrong. Five, however, smiled widely at her, playing along with it. She looked pretty creeped out and I suppressed a giggle as she slowly turned around and walked away to prepare our orders.
     It was silent, for a while. Before Five spoke, not really to anyone in particular, but he spoke nonetheless.
     'Don't remember this place being such a shithole. I used to come here as a kid. Used to sneak out with my brothers and sisters and eat donuts till we puked.' The man looked at Five strangely, obviously him talking about when he 'was' a kid must have confused him. Five still looked like a kid, no matter how old he actually was, he would still be a kid to anyone who didn't know him.
     That's just the sad truth.
     'Simpler times, huh?' Five asked, directing the question more at me as he turned in my direction, smiling softly.
     'Eh. I suppose.' Was the man's only response, seeming to be at a loss for words.
     It was silent again, this time the silence was a bit more tense than before. As the waitress came over with our coffees and whatever the man ordered, I felt a strong twinge in my gut.
     It got worse as I touched the mug and dragged it across the table to me, I tried to ignore it but it wouldn't go away. I didn't want to tell Five because of the man that was sat right next to him, but I don't know what I would do if it got any worse.
     For the rest of our visit to the donut shop, I sat in silence as Five talked to the man. I had drowned out the sound of their voices, hearing men grunting out in pain and bullets being fired along with glass shattering in my head. I had no idea what any of it meant but I tried to focus on it, maybe if I focused enough I could have another vision. But nothing happened.
     I was snapped out of my thoughts by the ringing of the bell and I looked over, the man left. I seized my opportunity to tell Five.
     'Five, it's happening again. Something is going to happen, very soon -' I was cut off by the sound of the bell ringing again, this time I turned around to see who it was. At least five armed men, dressed all in black, entered and aimed their guns at Five.
     'Hmm. That was fast.' Five said nonchalantly.
     'Five, who are they?' I ask him quietly, suddenly being clueless to everything around me but Five.
     He ignored my question. 'I thought I'd have more time before they found me.'
     Who was they?
     Why would they be looking for Five?
     Why won't he tell me?
     So many questions raced around in my head and there weren't nearly enough answers to satisfy me.
     'Okay. So let's all be professional about this, yeah?' The man closest to Five said, he was stood directly behind me but ignored me completely. 'On your feet and come with us. They want to talk.'
     'I've got nothing to say.' Five replied. I was so frustrated, being left in the dark, all I wanted was some answers but I wasn't getting any from anyone and it really pissed me off.
     'It doesn't have to go this way. But, if you don't cooperate, we'll be forced to shoot you, then your little girlfriend over here.' I turned my head swiftly around to protest but his gun was pointed right inbetween my eyes, almost touching my forehead. I was at a loss for words. Sure, I had fought men with guns before and come out victorious, but this was different. These weren't amateurs robbing a bank. These guys seemed professional.
     'Don't threaten her.' Five said under his breath, just loud enough for me to hear.
     'What?' The man questioned, aiming the gun back at Five.
     Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Five pick up a butter knife that was left on the table and examine it, looking at his reflection in the blade. 'I said, don't threaten her.' Five repeated, louder this time so he was sure everyone heard.
     He was so fast. He spatial jumped behind the man who threatened me first, stabbing him in the side of the neck with the butter knife. He grunted in pain and fell forward, I managed to teleport to the front of the diner before he fell on me, but I got myself caught in the action, it was a miracle I wasn't shot by one of these arseholes.
     I looked around for Five as I kept teleporting back and forth, avoiding bullet after bullet. He distracted them from me by appearing on a table, perfectly relaxed and shouting, 'Hey, assholes!' The four remaining men pointed, aimed and shot at Five but he was just too quick. He had ended up outside, watching them shoot at nothing through the glass door and I joined him.
     'Thanks.' I say, appreciatively.
     'Its no problem.' He smiled sincerely at me, before knocking softly on the door. 'They're idiots anyway, anything will distract them.'
     Five was right, they all turned their attention to the glass door and started shooting, I teleported forward back to my stool and Five spatial jumped next to one of the men inside. He picked up the mop next to him, broke it in half and stabbed the man in the side all in a split second, none of the others could even react before he had disappeared again.
     I followed suit and and teleported back to the door that was now just a frame with no real purpose. The man infront of me hadn't realised I was there so I kicked him in the back of the leg, he fell face first into a table and there was a sickening crack followed by a puddle of blood on the floor by his body.
     By the time I had looked up, Five had choked one to death with his tie, threw a plate at another and stabbed a third in the eye with a pencil. It was very gory but all quite impressive. Whatever he was doing when he was in the Apocolypse, he was good at.
     There were two men left. Five saw his chance, ran inbetween them and spatial jumped away at the last second. They both shot each other.
     I crossed my arms and looked at them. 'Guess they weren't the smartest.' I say as I kick one of the many men that Five just killed in the shoulder, checking if he was dead or alive. I did indeed get a reaction from him, he groaned in pain and Five walked over, nudged me out of the way and quickly snapped his neck. 'Charming.'
     'So, you gonna tell me everyting now?' I ask as Five takes one of the men's daggers and sits at the bar again.
     'Everything. And I'll start from the beginning.' Five replied as he dug the dagger into his arm and fished around inside before pulling out a small, flashing device. Blood poured from his arm and I ran to him, looking at the tablet shaped device then at him.
     He got up like it was nothing and we headed to the car, he dropped the small device - that I'm assuming was a tracker - near a drain as he walked over it.
     I was most definetely and utterly confused.