Chapter 9 - Coffee

After the funeral, Five and I went up to the attic. We sat on a window ledge, our feet hanging out the window as we looked up to the sky. Thankfully, the weather had cleared by now, though it was still cold, it wasn't raining.
     It was completely still and silent, the only sound being the distant whirrs of car engines and crickets from way down below us.
     'Y/N,' Five started, breaking the silence, 'I want you to know that I didn't mean to abandon you, the way I feel like I did.'
     'What do you mean?'
     'I mean, I was planning on coming back for you. I was going to prove the old man wrong, prove to him and myself that I can time travel. That I can do what he thought I couldn't.' Five continued, staring down at his hands rested in his lap.
     'But, Five, you don't need to prove yourself. You're amazingly talented and smart. There's no one else like you.' I replied with a sweet smile, knowing that it was all true.
     'But I wanted to take you away from here. I wanted us to be able to go wherever and whenever we wanted.' He paused for a second, collecting his thoughts. 'I know we both hated life back then, treated like soldiers in some sick army. So I thought we could've left, together.'
     'Well, if that had happened, we wouldn't be here right now, planning how to stop the end of the world.' I replied, wanting to see the bright side to this - if there was one. 'Maybe, once this is all finished, we can leave together -'
     I was cut off mid sentence, in the back of my mind I could hear Five talking to me but I couldn't respond. For in the front of my mind, bright visions of the Academy falling to rubble, all of us splitting apart and a bright white figure flashed in my mind. Slightly blurry but still vivid in my brain as white noise grew louder and louder in my ears before I felt a strong force on my shoulder.
     'Y/N!' I heard Five yell, looking worried as he held my arm tightly.
     'What?' I asked, the visions still burned in my brain.
     'What do you mean what?' He asked forcefully, 'Did we just live in the same moment or am I going insane?'
     I just looked at him, my brows furrowed. 'I think I just blacked out for a second. I'll be fine. I replied, not wanting to tell him about what I just saw as I didn't quite understand it yet. Black spots appeared in my eyes all around me and I opened my eyes wide, trying to focus on Five infront of me.
     'Y/N, your eyes rolled into the back of your head. You looked like you were having some sort of fit. I had to stop you from falling out the window.' Five said, rather calmly as his grip on my arm softened.
     'Oh.' I murmured, not really knowing what to say. I didn't feel any of that. If Five wasn't here I could've fallen. That wouldn't have been pretty ...
     'I just had a weird vision, I've never had a vision before. Maybe that's what's meant to happen.' I continued, trying to make both myself and Five feel at ease.
     'Come on, let's go get a cup of coffee.' Five smiled at me before we both left the window warily. We were both obviously shaken up about what just happened but we're determined to not let it make this day any worse.
     We entered the kitchen, Klaus was slumped in a chair at the head of the table. His feet rested on the table and a guitar clutched in his grip.
     'Comfy there, Klaus?' I asked jokingly as I sat down next to him, noticing his shoes left on the opposite end of the table.
     'Very, how thoughtful of you to ask.' He replied with a smile. Even after seventeen years he doesn't seem to have changed. I wonder if everyone else is the same. I've obviously seen and been with them all since I woke up but I haven't had any good conversations with any of them, aside from Vanya.
     I could hear Five rummaging about the many cupboards and cabinets behind me, trying to find something to make a pot of coffee with.
     I crossed my legs in the chair, rocking back and forth slightly before I noticed Allison come in. She looked upset as she placed her jacket down on a nearby chair.
     'Where's Vanya?' She asked. I hadn't even noticed she wasn't here, she's always so quiet.
     'Oh, she's gone.' Klaus replied absentmindedly, still holding onto the guitar.
     'Hadn't even noticed she left.' I added, Allison looked over to me briefly before Five spoke.
     'That's unfortunate.'
     'Yeah.' Allison mumbled as she walked over to the chair opposite me.
     'An entire square block. Forty-two bedrooms, nineteen bathrooms, but no, not a single drop of coffee.' Five walked up behind me, placed one hand on the back of my hair and set an empty cafetiere infront of me.
     'Dad hated caffeine.' Allison replied dimly.
     'Well, he hated children, too, and he had plenty of us.' Klaus laughed before looking seriously at Allison. Klaus was obviously off his rocker but it was sort of funny.
     'We're going to take the car.' Five said as he tapped me on the shoulder. I got up, and glanced at Klaus who sat up and rested the guitar on the table.
     'Where are you going?' He asked, interested.
     'To get a decent cup of coffee.' Five replied in a tone that made it seem that the answer should have been blatantly obvious.
     'I didn't know you could drive.' I said in a slightly shocked tone, but then I guess that if you've lived in the apocalypse for all those years, you could probably do anything.
     'Yeah, I know how to do everything.' Five replied with a smile before spatial jumping away. I followed suit by disappearing and reappearing back up stairs in an instant and running towards the garage quickly. I really wish I had visited the garage today, that would make this so much easier.
     I made it just in time for Five to start the car and I got into the passenger seat. Five wasn't kidding when he said be knew how to do everything, he was surprisingly good at driving.