Chapter 1: Some Men...

Doctor: "I'm sorry kid. It's not gonna happen. Better to just give up on heroism now, it'll save you a lot of heartache in the future."

Izuku Midoriya was in the doctor's office, the quirk identifier to be exact. His friend Katsuki Bakugou had already developed his quirk, with him being older by a couple months, but not enough to put them in different grades. Bakugou had an explosion quirk and wasn't afraid to show it. Midoriya, however, was just told he would never get one.

Inko: "What? Why not? Why won't he get a quirk?"

Doctor: "As you can see by these x-rays of his right foot,he has two joints in his pinky toe. Quirks have only ever appeared in people who don't have the second one in the toe itself, only the one where it stems from the foot."

Inko: "Oh. I see. Thank you for your time."

Doctor: "No problem ma'am. Just doing my job."

*TIMESKIP 8 YEARS*

Inko: "Izuku, I'm *cough**cough* home! *cough*"

Izuku: "Mom, you really need to take a sick day. I know that you are trying to make money to help support us, but it's not risking worth your health over."

Inko: "I know honey, but we really *cough* need the money. I'll take a sick day tomorrow, but no more than that. *cough* OK?"

Izuku: "Fine, but if you are in this condition tomorrow afternoon, we're going to the doctors."

Inko: "Fine, *cough* but this should go away any time now."

Izuku: "You go get some rest. You need it. I'll cook dinner."

As Izuku was getting some ingredients together to make dinner (katsudon, obviously), he heard a crash in the hallway. It was obviously his mother falling to the ground from her sickness, so he immediately rushed to the phone and called 119.

119 Operator: "119, what's your emergency?"

Izuku: "My mother just fainted in the hallway, can you please send an ambulance?!"

119 Operator: "An ambulance is on its way."

*HOURS LATER*

Doctor: "I'm sorry sir. But I'm afraid she didn't make it. Do you have any other family that you can stay with, such as your father?"

Izuku: "No, my father left us as soon as he found out I was quirkless. Said that she couldn't have produced such a worthless little shit unless she had me with another man. Closest I have to family is the Bakugou's, but their family friends."

Doctor: "Understood. I'll call them, see if they would be willing to adopt you. I'm so sorry for your loss."

A few minutes later, Mitsuki Bakugou arrived at the hospital, frantically asking around about where Inko's room was, knowing that Izuku would be there too. There was some muffled shouting coming from behind Mitsuki from Katsuki being muffled by Masaru.

Katsuki: "OI OLD HAG, WHY THE HELL ARE WE HERE?!?"

Mitsuki:"Because Inko is having medical problems and we need to comfort her and Izuku."

Katsuki: "Okay, I can understand Aunt Inko, but why the hell does that useless shit matter?"

Mitsuki: "I know you don't like him anymore, but you need to have some common FUCKING sense Katsuki. Izuku may be needing to live with us for a bit depending on Inko's condition, so I'm not going to have any more of your shit. Got it?"

Katsuki: "Ya, common sense says that because the little crapstain can't do the things that most people can means that he is-"

Izuku: "Kacchan, can we not do this today?"

Katsuki: "And why the hell not Deku, you fucking deficit?"

Izuku: "BECAUSE MY MOM JUST FUCKING DIED!"

Katsuki: "What, she hang herself for raising such a useless piece of shit? Same reason your father - ACK"

At this point, Mitsuki is in the hallway talking to the doctor, so she doesn't hear that particular remark by Katsuki, but she also didn't see Izuku throw a punch straight into Katsuki's stomach. Izuku was always a slim boy without much muscle, but with the amount of anger currently in his system, he was able to successfully knock the air out of Katsuki. As soon as he realized what he did, however, he booked it out of the hospital to try and escape Katsuki's inevitable wrath.

He ran all the way to the library, all anger replaced by pure, unadulterated fear. If you passed him on the streets, you may very well have confused him for Orestes being chased by the furies, or a doomed sinner being chased by Satan himself. And he might as well have been, for Katsuki, thinking that Izuku had no right to backtalk to him, much less punch him, due to his quirklessness. And the anger of the explosive blonde was matched only by Hades and Satan himself. For no sooner had Izuku successfully hidden in a closet of old books and tomes did Katsuki kick down the door of the library.

Backing up to ensure Katsuki didn't see him, Izuku knocked over a bookshelf, and from it fell an old book that Izuku caught it before it could make a sound on the floor. Realizing that Katsuki would be searching for him for a while, Izuku decided to read the book, having nothing better to do. As he opened the book, he found that the pages themselves were not dusty, and were instead perfectly readable. It was a book about an old science called alchemy, which were comparable to creation quirks, not dissimilar to that Momo Yaoyorozu, only it required material from which to draw from.

Upon further reading, he found out that it wasn't limited to only creation. There were records of great alchemists like Roy Mustang, who was capable of pyrokinesis without a quirk, relying only on an alchemical circle that allowed him to bend the air around the fire and guide it, so long as he had a spark to work with. Closing the book, he placed it in his jacket to smuggle it out of the library, knowing that books in this closet couldn't be checked out. Looking around to see if Katsuki had left, he left the closet and ran all the way back to his apartment. Along the way, he used what pocket change he had to purchase a pair of sparking gloves to practice with when he gets home.