1

————————————————————————

I was walking, or stumbling rather, to my home on the sketchier side of town. Just coming from a drug deal, I was set for a few more days. The darkened sky looked so calming and the full moon was beautiful. I decide a pit stop won't hurt, so I walk to the abandoned buildings near my house and enter the tallest one. Using the barely operational elevator, I go to the roof and pick the lock on the door open. I jog over to the ledge and sit with my feet hanging off, looking up at the night sky. I'm about to reach into my pocket when I hear another set of footsteps coming onto the roof. Expecting a security guard i become alert and ready to run if I have to. Only to my surprise, the person sits down next to me. He looks at me and says, "do you mind?"   I shake my head no, and offer a spot beside me on the ledge. "Thanks." He says laughing slightly. He is wearing a long cardigan with a feathered edge and what appears to be fake leather leggings with cross peek a boo spots down the legs. He looks high and I smirk. "How's your night going?" I ask the man.
"It's pretty shit", he says chuckling, "my old man is training me and my brothers and sisters and I just can't do it for much longer." He says looking out onto the city. He appears to be my age, and has beautiful blue eyes.
"What about you?" He finishes.
"Well, I just went 'shopping' and now I should be able to survive for another week in that shit box called home with my parents." I say staring at the moon. "Sorry to hear that." He says and looks at me with curiosity. I reach into my pocket and pull out a small baggie full of colourful pills. "You don't mind, do you?" I ask smirking slightly. He stares at me in shock before smirking back, "of course not."
I open the bag and pop two pills, a green one and a white one. Before closing it I suggestively pass him the bag, "you want some?" I smile at him. "How'd you know I was out?!" He asks surprised. "Let's just say it's intuition." I say. He takes a few and I put my drugs back. I lay down and my back touches the gravel. Closing my eyes for a second I let out a sigh. However I'm left with shock when I open my eyes and an Asian teenager is looking down at me. I scream and jump up.
"Holy shit!" I say, "you scared me man!" I finish while laughing a little.
"Wait, you can see him?!" The guy next to me asks at the same time the Asian kid asks, "wait, you can see me?!"
"Uhhhh, yeah? Why wouldn't I be able to see you? These drugs must be better than I remember because I didn't even hear you open the door or walk over here." I say smiling, beginning to feel the high start.
"You shouldn't be able to see or talk to me! Who are you?" The Asian kid asks.
"Im Alex." I say spinning and looking at the stars.
"Well Alex, I'm Klaus and you shouldn't be able to see him because he's dead.." Klaus concludes.
"Ohhh that makes so much more sense!" I say louder hitting myself on the head, "god I'm stupid."
"Why're you stupid? And how does that make sense?" The Asian kid asks.
"I'm stupid because I should have noticed the signs, like your footsteps went unheard, the way you talk to Klaus, etc things. It makes more sense because I was born with abilities. I'm one of the 43 kids who were born on October 1st." I say while smiling like an idiot.
"No way..." they both say, "us too!"
"Fuck! Really?!" I say.
"Yeah, I'm four and thats six, aka Ben." Klaus says.
"From the umbrella academy?" I say.
"Yup!" Klaus says.
"That's cool!" I say smiling still. I check my phone and notice the time. My eyes go wide and I feel myself begin to shake a bit.
Ben notices this first.
"Are you okay Alex?" He asks concerned.
"Yeah. Yeah, yeah I'm cool. Coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool, I've just gotta go. Uhhhhh, it was nice meeting you guys!" I say and ask Klaus to put his number in my phone. He does then I leave.
Fuck! I'm gonna be late. That's never a good thing.
I run as fast as I can while being high and make it home just as the clock hits 10:30 pm.

I quietly open the door and close it behind me. Sneaking into my bedroom I let out a sigh, I'm safe for the night.
If only.
I close my door and turn around to be faced with my drunken parents.
"You're fucking late!" My dad yells.
"There's a curfew for a reason! Can't you do anything right as my daughter?!" My mother yells, face full of fury. She slaps me and I can hear my neck crack. I stumble and chuckle a little bit.
"What the hell is so funny?!" My father yells, now angered.
I try to stay silent. Knowing that talking back always makes it worse, but I'm high and extremely out of it.
"Just that you guys can this every day of my miserable life but I can't fucking die because of this stupid curse you gave to me."
Ohhhhh. That angered them a lot.
My father walks forwards and grabs my neck. He applies pressure and holds me up against the wall, my feet no longer touching the ground. I begin to have trouble breathing, and when I begin to choke he only pushes harder. I can feel my face turn red and eventually I suffocate, going limp in his hands. After a solid 2 minutes of wandering the after life, I'm being, what can only be described as pulled, back into my body and I gasp for breath and begin to cough.
Looking around I remember I'm still in my bedroom and look up to see my mother. She punches my body and kicks me until I pass out, not really feeling anything right now, just numb.