5

————————————————————————

Walking up the stairs and going to the left there are 2 bedroom doors at the end of the hallway. One being Klaus's and the other being bens old room.
"Are you sure this is okay Ben? I can always use a different room." I ask.
"It's fine, I'd rather you use it than anyone else." Ben smiles.
"Alrighty then. Here we go." I say and Klaus opens the door for me. My eyes go wide with excitement as I see the big bookshelf on the left wall of bens room.
"It's like a library in here, I love it!" I say excitedly. I go over to the bookshelf and look at all the books he has. Scanning them over I realize I've read maybe half of them.
"I'm surprised you like it, I didn't peg you as a bookworm." Ben says as Klaus sits on the bed. "Oh yeah, I love me some books." I say chuckling and flopping down next to Klaus on the bed.
"You tired?" Klaus asks.
"Yeah, plus I'm sobering up and that's never a fun time." I say.
"I get it, I'll let you rest... number eight." He says chuckling. On his way out he turns out my lights and closes the door. I take a big inhale and exhale.
This is gonna be interesting.

Alex. Alex. ALEX!
Help us! Help us!
BRING ME BACK
NO, BRING ME BACK!
ALEX, ALEX, ALEX!

I wake up with a start. The voices are back and they won't stop. I check the time and see it's 3:30 in the morning. My hands are shaking like crazy and the voices are getting louder. I begin to pant, and cover my ears. I look around the room and find a bag, recognizing it as Klaus' I open it and hope he'll understand. I empty it's contents until I find a joint and quickly light it with the lighter in my pocket. Taking a big drag, I hold the smoke in my lungs for a little while before releasing, really letting the effects take their toll. I quickly finish the joint, and lay back down on my bed. I close my eyes and think about what my parents are doing. My brain wanders and I only just remember that I need to collect my clothes and some personal things from my parents house. Thinking now is as good a time as any, I climb out the window and just as I'm about to begin walking to my old apartment, Ben appears before me with a questioning look.
"What're you doing? It's 4 am."
"Well I woke up from the voices, smoked one of Klaus' joints and now I'm going to get my things from my old apartment to bring here." I say continuing to walk.
"Alex, I think this is a really bad idea. What if their waiting for you?" He asks concerned.
"It'll be fine. Besides, I'm stealthier than a ninja." I say laughing as I do a ridiculous ninja pose. Ben sighs and follows me.
We reach our destination and I quietly climb the fire escape and enter my bedroom window. They never even bothered to clean up the blood pools, that's gross.
I grab my backpack that I used to hold my drugs when I met up with Klaus yesterday. Seeing my stash still there, I quietly grab my clothes and toiletries from the bathroom. As I'm collecting my lighters and pocket knife, I hear footsteps coming closer to my bedroom. I quickly grab my bag and quietly exit the window and crouch onto the fire escape.
I look at Ben and mouth to him, "who is it?" He looks and answers me.
"It's your dad." He talks normally, seeing as no one can hear or see him except for me and Klaus. I sneak off the fire escape and run back to the academy. When I get there I climb back through my new bedrooms window and laugh lightly at what Ben and I just did.
"This is nice." I say sitting on the bed and looking out the window.
"This will be good for you, I'm happy Klaus and I could help you escape. You're a good person Alex." Ben said. This makes me smile slightly, "thanks Ben, you're not so bad yourself."
I unpack my bag and light another joint, just to be sure that the voices won't return. When next I look out the window, the sun is rising and there's a light knock on my door.
"Yeah?" I say
The door creaks open and in comes Klaus. He closes the door and sits beside me. He seems calm and tired.
"What's up crazy pants?" I ask.
"I woke up and can't go back to sleep." He responds.
"That has to do with me how?" I ask and take a huff before passing the joint to Klaus.
He takes a hit, "I'm bored. Let's cause havoc somewhere." He wines.
"Okay, I'm down." I say smiling. We finish the joint together and then head downstairs. It being close to 7 now. Klaus grabs a giant golden bell and walks up and down the hallways ringing it, effectively waking everyone up.
"Klaus what the hell man?" Diego asks.
"Wake wakey, eggs and backey!" He says happily. Diego looks at him with dead eyes.
"I'm giving you a three second head start." He says while pulling out one of his knives.
"1" Klaus begins to run down the stairs and jumps the last few steps.
"2" he runs around as many corners as possible, trying to make it harder for Diego to hit him.
"3" Diego says and throws his knife. I watch it curve and spin. I hear Klaus jump behind something and a 'thwack' sound, indicating that the knife impaled itself into a wall or a piece of furniture.
"You almost killed me!" Klaus' voice echoes from a few floors down. I laugh and go find Klaus hidden behind a sofa on the main floor.
Offering him a hand, I help him up and he pulls me down instead. We're both laughing and I loose my balance and fall on top of him. We stare into each other's eyes, and I feel very attracted to him in this moment. He leans his head closer to mine and I lower my head closer to his. I look at his eyes, then flicker mine to his lips, then back up at his eyes again. He looks at me, then presses his lips to mine. I kiss back, and he holds the back of my head, pressing me closer to him. We separate and I get off of him, then actually helping him up this time.
"Wanna go get breakfast?" He asks.
"Yeah, I've got the munchies." I say chuckling a bit. He takes hold of my hand and we walk, hand in hand, to the kitchen where Grace has set up breakfast for us. We each take our seats, mine besides him, and everyone else takes their regular seats. Mr. Hargreeves sits at the head of the table and everyone eats in silence. Once breakfast is over and Mr.Hargreeves dismisses us, he tells me to wait behind.
I tell Klaus I'll meet him later and follow Mr. Hargreeves to his study.
"So number eight, we will start your training immediately. What do you already know of your powers?" He asks curtly.
"My necromancy power is overwhelming. I can see and talk to the dead. If I'm near the body I can shove the soul of the person back into the body and they will be under my command as a zombie until I release them. The voices never stop, they keep me up and drive me crazy. I have resorted to other methods to keep them at bay. My immortality is easier to understand. I can die, however I'm always pulled back into my body. When I die, depending on how I die, I can have anywhere from 3-10 minutes in the afterlife before returning. In my past experiences, the more gruesome the death, the longer my stay in the afterlife is." I explain.
"Interesting. We will train your immortality first." He says, "follow me number eight." I nod and follow him to a training room. He tells me to take a seat and I sit in the chair.
"I am going to kill you for a few hours. Seeing which ways will effect you differently." He says and I immediately panic. I just escaped this and now he's gonna do it too.
Fuck.
He straps me into the chair before grabbing a knife and stabbing me, killing me instantly. I wander around the house until I find Ben and Klaus. "What's up guys? I've got 2 minutes so make your answers interesting." I say while leaning against Klaus' bedroom door.
"2 minutes?" Klaus asks.
"Yes until I'm pulled back into my body." I respond.
"Did dad kill you?!" He asks shocked and surprised.
"Yeah, apparently he'll be doing so for a few hours before he trains me on my necromancy power." I answer.
"That sick old bastard." Klaus says.
"Yeah, well I'll see you guys really soon." I say giving them a half hearted salute.
I gasp for air as I 'wake up' in the same chair as before.
"3 minutes. Interesting." He says.
"How does your body react if you tear muscles or get stabbed?" He asks.
"It depends on the wound, my body heals itself completely, but it may take longer if I say, loose a limb. I'd be out of commission for a few hours, stuck in the after life just wandering." I reply.
"Curious. Very curious." He says and writes something down in his red book.
"I am going to decapitate you number eight. I want you to recover completely and return to your body within the next two hours." He says quickly. However before I can respond he grabs a very big and sharp blade, and suddenly I'm back outside of Klaus' room with tears streaming down my face and realizing what just happened.
"Klaus..." I whisper out to him before collapsing onto the ground in his room.
"Alex! Alex what's wrong?!" His answer is immediate. Ben crouches down and pulls me in for a hug. "What did he do?" They ask.
"He- He decapitated me and told me to resurrect within 2 hours." I cry out.
"I've never died like this before! I-i can still hear the sound of him slicing my neck!" I cry beginning to hyperventilate. Klaus and Ben's eyes widen and Ben is on the verge of tears. Klaus looks angry, it's actually scary. I've never seen him this angry. He storms out and Ben and I follow him.
Klaus is about to go into the training room and I jump in front of him. "Please Don't go in there! It's- I just don't want you to see! It's really gruesome." I say pleading him to stop. He walks right through me and opens the door. He stops dead in his tracks and tears fall down his face. In the middle of the room is the chair I was strapped to, blood was everywhere, and loosely placed on my neck, was my head.
"A-Alex. I-" Klaus begins.
Mr.Hargreeves was standing there writing in his note book. When he heard Klaus he closed his book and yelled at him to get out.
"Number four! What are you doing here?! Get out this instant! I'm in the middle of training number eight!" He yelled before locking the door. Klaus stares at the door with no emotion.
"Klaus?" I asked.
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I made this happen." He mumbled.
"Klaus, what are you talking about?" I ask him.
"I brought you here, I-I'm the reason this is happening to you!" He says crying.
"Klaus. Look at me." I say he looks up, meeting my eyes.
"None of this is your fault. Okay? Not a single part of this is your fault." I say sternly and calmly. He goes to hold my hand and lean his head against mine, however he goes through me, and I go through him.
And we just sit there, in front of one another, looking into each other's eyes. Waiting for me to resurrect, so I can comfort him, and him me.