7

————————————————————————

Well shit.
I begin to panic, the voices are quiet, the pills effects still have hold of me. I sit down and try to rationalize my thoughts.
The faster I do this, the faster I can get out of here.
I've done it before, how hard can it be this time?
I close my eyes and try to focus on one of the many spirits around me. I then try to forcefully put the spirit into its body, hoping to hear it grunt or move, only to be met with silence. I look around and don't see any zombie like creatures or anything of the sort.
"Number Eight, this exercise will not work until you stop pumping your body full of poison." Mr. Hargreeves says, sounding disappointed. I choke on the air as I realize the implications of what he just said.
I need to be sober.
That takes hours,
I can't leave until I compete the task.
I'm fucked.
I hyperventilate and try to calm myself down.
"Calm thoughts Alex. Just stay calm. Just think about your new life. Think about how much better this will be for you." I mumble to myself, while continuously trying to pull a spirit forward and into its body. With no suck luck I decide to take a nap and get sober this way, the pills will wear off in an hour or two.
Closing my eyes, I hope I finish this task so I can stay at the academy.

ALEXALEXALEX
ALEXALEXALEX
ALEXALEXALEX
ALEXALEXALEX
SAVE US ALEX.
HELP US.
RETURN US!

I jump awake to hear nothing but the voices. They've never been this aggressive and loud before. I guess being this close in proximity to them will do that.

I cover my ears and scream, the intensity becoming overwhelming.
"JUST SHUT UP! PLEASE?!" I cry and crouch down. The voices lower slightly and I quickly pick one and forcefully shove it into its body. I hear groaning and shuffling. All other voices stop and I freeze, looking towards the sounds direction. My eyes widen and I crawl backwards in fear until my back hits the wall. The decaying corpse drags its torso towards me, it has no lower half and the bones are beginning to be exposed.
If I can release it now, I could leave this hell.
I suppress a gag reflex and stare at it with determination, a new found goal hanging above my head.
"Stop." I say and the corpse stops an arms length away from me.
"B-Back up." I say and it pushes itself away from me.
"Now, p-please go back to the afterlife." It doesn't move and I stay still for 5 minutes while trying to decide if it's gone or not.
"Are you still t-there?" I ask shakily.
For a moment nothing happens, then it's head moves up, then down, nodding.
"Oh, uh, please go back to the afterlife." I ask nicely.
Again, nothing happens and it's still here.
I close my eyes and imagine the spirit, I imagine it flying out of the corpse, and into the afterlife. I hear a muffled 'thump' sound. Opening my eyes, I see the corpse face down on the ground.
"There! There I did it Mr. Hargreeves, now please, let me out of here!" I yell as the voices begin to yell again. I hear footsteps walking towards the doors of the crypt and I drag myself up and over to the doors. Soon enough the darkness of the night sky shines through and into the mausoleum and I cry tears of happiness. Mr. Hargreeves looks accomplished and let's me out. We go back to the house and he goes directly into his study. However, as soon as I enter the doors I get slammed into the wall by none other than Luther, his hand is around my neck and he lifts me up, my feet dangling; The voices still screaming in the background.
"Hey! Let me go!" I say writhing around.
"No. You're corrupting dad. There's no way he could feel accomplished because of you!" He grunts.
"So this is about favourites? Your even more stupid than I thought you were Luther." I say and he gives me a questioning look.
"Your dad, doesn't like me at all. He likes the idea that he can use me for my powers. So don't get ahead of yourself number one, you're still his favourite and always will be." I choke out, beginning to feel the all too familiar pull of death.
"You better not corrupt this house Alex. I don't care where your from or who you are, I want you out of this house, and away from my family." He says. I look at him and suddenly go limp, and the voices stop altogether. He looks panicked and drops me, expecting me to cough or move, but my body just stays on the floor, unmoving.
He looks around for anyone only to see Klaus making his way down the stairs.
"What's all the racket about? I thought that-" he begins to say with a smile until he sees the scene in front of him. Luther freaking out, standing beside my body that is unmoving on the ground, next to which is my ghost. I am currently punching Luther, but my fists just go through him.
"Is. It. Too. Much. To. Ask. To, just for once, come back from a traumatizing training experience without you interrogating me, you ASSHOLE!" I yell finally collapsing to the ground and crying.
"Klaus, I-I can explain-" Luther begins, but Klaus cuts him off.
"What the actual fuck Luther?!" Klaus screams and runs towards me. Meanwhile, Ben is comforting me and letting me lean on him.
"What's going on down here?" Diego asks.
He walks towards us and stops dead in his tracks when he sees me.
"Luther. You better give me one good reason why I shouldn't kick your ass right now!" Diego yells.
"I-It was an accident!" He tried to explain, when suddenly I jerk forward and gasp for breath, coughing and rubbing my neck, where strong finger shaped bruises are already coming in. Immediately the voices are yelling at me again. I cover my ears and tears make their way down my face. I feel Klaus holding me tightly, and picking me up. He carries me to his room while Diego and Luther argue about what happened downstairs.
"Shhhh, it's gonna be okay, we're almost there Alex." Klaus says and takes me into his room.
He puts me down on his bed and I point to my bag. He understands and brings it to me and I dig deep until I find the baggie of red pills. The red pills work the fastest for me, it's some kind of MDMA laced with ketamine. I swallow them and pull out my phone, opening up my messages I tap on Klaus's name and our text chain appears.
I don't think I can talk for a little while.
I type out and hit send. His phone goes off, and he looks at it with sad eyes.
"What happened between you and Luther Alex?" He asks.
I was coming to find you after my training, he slammed me against the wall and began choking me. He accused me of being one of your dads new favourites and told me to get out of the house and away from his family.
I sent him.
He reads it over and frowns.
"I'm sorry Alex. Luther has no right to do any of that. He's just jealous because he thinks he's better than all of us because he's number 1." Ben says to me.
I sigh and type something out.
I'm sorry I caused all of this family tension. Maybe he was right, maybe I should just go. You guys would be better off without me.
Klaus gets this and immediately starts to deny it.
"No! No Alex you can't leave. You belong with us, it'll be too dangerous for you to go back to your parents. Who knows what they'll do! I'll never forgive myself if you leave. Please, please don't leave us, don't leave me." He says tears pooling in his eyes.
I smile sadly and hug him. He pulls me closer to him and holds my head to his chest. We sit like that until morning, just enjoying the silence between us.