10

————————————————————————

"Klaus?" I ask in disbelief.
The man turns and his eyes go wide.
"Alex! Oh my god, how long has it been?!" He asks running towards me. He engulfs me in a hug and I whimper in pain. He immediately let's go and finally takes a good look at me.
"Alex. What happened to you? Who did this?" He asks with a clenched jaw, reminding me of the first time we met.
"You got time? It's a long story." I ask sadly. He nods and we sit down like we used to, feet dangling off the ledge of the building. "So what happened after I left Alex?" Klaus asks seriously.
"After you left, I was alone. It's was just me and Luther and of course dad sent him out on solo missions more than I went on. But earlier today, or maybe even yesterday? I don't remember how long ago it was, but dad sent Luther and I on one final mission before he sent Luther to the moon. There was some dangerous chemicals and an acid vat that was trying to be stolen. It was suppose to be easy. There were maybe 7 or eight robbers, I found them first. I took down a few of them until Luther came to help. They shot at me but it's nothing too important because I can't fucking die. But then everything went wrong. One of the bad guys knocked the vat over and it spilled all over Luther. I dragged him away to safety, when I started to feel dizzy and tired. I hadn't realized that they injected me with a paralysis poison and I fell to the floor. One of the guys did this", I pointed at my face, "then dumped me into the pool of chemically altered acid or whatever and I was out. When I woke up, I was the only one left. Dad had came and retrieved Luther and he just left me there." I cry out.
"He abandoned me. Left me to suffer, so I left. And now we're here." I say. Klaus pulls me into a hug.
"I can't believe he would do something like that." He says sadly.
"Yeah, well. What're you gonna do?" I ask, trying desperately to stop the tears from falling down my face.
"How bad is the damage?" Ben tenderly asks.
"It's not pretty. It'll scar for sure. My entire left side is pretty much just scar tissue now." I say lifting my sweater up a bit for them to see. It was still in the process of healing, however most of it was just stretched skin that was uneven and bumpy. The acid had eaten at it until I woke up, and now my body is trying to fix itself
"Alex..." Klaus whispers.
"I'll be fine, it'll just scar. Which is fine. Totally fine." I say nodding while also forcefully holding the tears back from falling out again.
"It's okay to not be okay Alex." Klaus says holding my hands in support.
"I..." I start, "I just can't believe they fucking left me there. I was stuck in a cycle of dying, and resurrecting until I had gotten out of there." I say angrily. "Are you holding?" I ask Klaus, looking at him with big eyes full of emotion.
He nods and pulls out three pills and hands them to me. I take them and swallow them. "Thanks." I mumble. "It's getting late, do you guys have a place to stay?" I ask Klaus and Ben, even though Ben's a ghost I wanted to include him.
"No, we just usually wander aimlessly." He says while moving his hands towards the city below us. "Well then, come on." I say standing up, slightly wobbly from earlier.
"Where are you going?"
"My place, and your gonna stay there as long as you need. I've got the extra space." I say and walk towards the roofs door. They look at each other and shrug, following me to my apartment. "Where is your place?" Ben asks.
"It's my parents apartment. And before you say anything, no their not there. They're dead and left the place to me so it's mine now." I say before they can interject. They stay silent for a bit before Klaus agreed and before I knew it, we had made it back and both of us had already fallen asleep on the couch.

Klaus ended up moving in with me and we've both been living there like a bunch of stoners for the last four ish years. In those four years, I had learned that my parents left me much more than this shitty apartment. Turns out they were pretty well off, like well enough for me to survive my whole life without needing to get a job. And that's exactly what I did, Klaus and I used the money freely, not even worrying about jobs or anything. We just used it to buy food and drugs mostly. Klaus and I grew really close. We never really left each other, we're attached at the hip, and I love it. Klaus is one of the only people who actually understands me. And Ben technically lives here too, he wanders obviously, but he's somehow linked to Klaus and I, meaning we can see him even when we're high as fuck. I enjoy both of their company, and they enjoy mine. They've both been there for me whenever I had bad days and couldn't even get out of bed without bursting into tears. There have also been days when I've been so bad that I tried to commit suicide, only for it to fail, or for Klaus to stop me. Eventually, one day came when Klaus had overdosed on accident and was revived in the ambulance. Keep in mind he had just gotten out of rehab too. I was at home when I got the news that 'dad' aka Reginald Hargreeves had past away that morning in his home.
I stare at the tv in disbelief. Don't get me wrong, I'm furious at him. He's a total prick, but he was better than my actual parents, and he gave me a home to stay in for a few years. I began to feel all of these emotions quickly rising and with shaky hands I struggled to find something to help them stay repressed. Pills, weed, anything. I finally found some leftover weed brownies Klaus and I made on the weekend and I quickly ate it up. After 10 minutes of nothing happening I began to get inpatient and pulled out some ketamine pills, shaking the bag until two rolled onto my hand and I quickly swallowed them. As I went to sit back down on the couch, I grabbed the bong and lighter from the back counter, then sat myself on the floor in front of the couch listening to the news. I keep listening and taking hits before I begin to feel nothing at all. I lean my head back and quickly close my eyes. I hear the door open and Klaus stumbles in and shuts it before slumping down beside me omg he floor. Without opening my eyes I pass him the bong and lighter. He takes them from me and I hear the lighter, then the bubbling of the water. He exhales and I open my eyes.
"Did you hear?" I ask with no emotion.
"Yeah, and judging by the bag of ketamine, the bong, and missing brownie I'm assuming you heard too." He says disapprovingly.
"Yeah, I felt a lot of emotions and I didn't wanna feel them anymore. Sue me." I said.
"I'm just worried about you Alex." He started. "You haven't been eating for a while. You've gotten really thin and it's concerning." He states looking me up and down, observing my bones basically jutting out from under my skin.
"I'm fine. I'm more worried about you, you overdosed again didn't you?" I ask. He looks down and awkwardly rubs the back of his neck before taking another hit. "Yeah, I'm sorry. It was an accident." He says, exhaling the toxic smoke from his lungs.
"I just want you to be carful, I can't loose you too Klaus." I say before closing my eyes again.
"I promise you won't loose me Alex. I promise." He says before pulling me into a hug.
"We should stop by the house tomorrow, Luther's probably put together a memorial service for the stubborn old man." Klaus says sounding more like Klaus.
"Sure, but we're loading up." I say with a smirk.
"Well obviously. I just assumed that was implied. I'll roll some joints tomorrow morning before we go." He says.
"And I'll pack the pills. Gnight Klaus." I say drifting off rather quickly on the floor.
"Good night Alex." He says and kisses the top of my head, making me smile slightly before completely drifting into a deep slumber.