Megladons and Being Late

Chapter One

-Cassandra-

I sat crossed-legged on Grace's counter-top, eating out of a party size bag of Doritos.

"But like, what if?" I ask her.

"There's no way! Megalodons went extinct a long, long time ago!" Grace argued.

"Dude, at least listen to my reasonings. Ninety-five percent of the world's oceans is still undiscovered, and then ninety-nine percent of the oceans floor is undiscovered. And then of course there's the Bermuda triangle, which no one can really discover! And think of all the sightings that basically scream megalodons exist!"

She rolled her eyes and took a sip of her drink. "The sightings could be about whales or great white sharks, it sounds like megs are basically a combo of the two."

I huff out a breath. "No, they're not."

"Cas, if you want to believe that thar out there still, go ahead. I just rather not because if I did, I would never want to swim in the ocean again."

"And you wouldn't want that," I laugh.

"Yeah, especially in the summa' when I visit my auntie's." she chuckled.

"Although, it already is Australia so it's not like it's something new."

She lightly punched my arm. "Hey! It's not that bad! We have Chris Hemsworth!"

I was going to retaliate with listing off some actors and actresses, but all the ones that popped up were British. I sat there, defeated.

"Oh, don't pout," Grace obviously knew what was going on in my mind. "At least America only has twenty deadly snakes instead of twenty-one, with only twelve here in Nevada."

I shoot Grace a glare before laughing. "Oh, you're hilarious."

"Thank you," she faked a bow. "I try,"

I munch on my chips. "What time is it anyway?" I look around and saw the oven clock. "Holy crap it's already after six?! I need to get home, or my parent's might start to worry."

"Yeah, definitely wouldn't want that, they might think I kidnapped you or somethin'." Grace said sarcastically. "You need a ride?" she followed me to the front door.

"I should handle two blocks." I shrug, turning to hug her. "I mean, I made it here didn't I?"

"Yeah, I drove you here."

I smile. "See you tomorrow?"

"Yep, unless I'm attacked by megalodons in my sleep."

"Oh, how I'd rather meet a megalodon than have to take the biology test tomorrow,"

"Good luck to you," she sighed. "You're gonna need it in that class."

+++

I sat on my bed, cuddling Marshmallow. "Shhh," I whisper into her tiny ear while stroking her beautiful white fur. "It's just a little rain,"

A bright flash illuminated my window, followed by a crackle of thunder.

She jumped from my arms, and darted to hide underneath my dresser, which I've come to learn that it was her favorite hiding spot.

Hazelnut, my other female cat, walked in through my slightly cracked door.

I wasn't fond of having my door open at night, due to superstitions, but I wanted my kitties to come and go as they pleased.

Hazelnut, who loved to sleep on my feet to numb them, jumped onto my bed and stared directly at me while hovering her front paw over my phone.