Kayden

Chapter Nineteen

-Cassandra-

The hands on the clock took ages to move. I continued to stare at it, willing it to go faster, but at the same time, wishing it would freeze where it was at.

It was noon, and my stomach was growling. Who knew when my parents would arrive. Whenever it would be, I was not prepared for the reunion. Deep down, I was terrified. What would they think of me? I ran away to be with Maria, without leaving any notes as to why or where I was going.

My eyes dart around, lingering in the direction they took Maria. Despite how much I asked, and begged, they wouldn't let me see her or talk to her. They say she has me fooled. They say I was tricked by her evil ways.

All I wanted to know was that she would be okay, even after I left.

Of course she would be okay. She could manage herself. And I had asked Grace to help her out. Reluctantly, Grace had eventually gave in. What did she plan on doing? What did she tell Maria? How would she even do whatever the plan may be, if she was at school?

Thankfully, though, she had picked up. Had she not have, I would not know what to do.

I dropped my head, looking at my hands in my lap. Nervously, I toyed with Maria's ring. 'I will love you for all eternity'. I repeated the words over in my head, as if I was sending the message to her telepathically.

After mumbling it over and over, a type of assurance settled over me, as if she knew. As if she heard the message.

One of the policemen entered the waiting room I was trapped in. "Your mother called, she would like you to know they are about an hour out,"

I nodded. "Thank you,"

Internally, I was freaking out. Another hour. In just sixty minutes they will be here. I would have to explain my actions. I would have to tell them why I was with the well known criminal Maria Luca. Because I think I love her, I imagine saying. No, they wouldn't ever understand. For one, she was a criminal in their eyes. And second of all, even if she was redeemable, she was simply a she.

Looking back up at the agonizing clock that hung on the wall, I let out a sigh. This next hour would be dreadful when it came to waiting.

+++

An hour became an hour and a half. It was so awful, sitting there, continually glancing at the time, and then at the glass door, waiting. Waiting for the familiar car to pull into the parking lot. Waiting for my parents to storm in here and lecture my actions and I.

And then the time came.

A light grey Encore™ to backed into a parking spot, then both my dad and my mom got out. Mom looked frazzled as she rushed up to the doors, and as expected Dad was a mix of disappointment and disapproval.

The doors flung open, and Mom rushed over to me, and clutched onto me in a hug. "Oh, Cas, you're okay!"

Suffocating, I give her a gently pat on the back. "Yep, I'm fine,"

"I'm assuming you're the parents?" the officer came out.

"Yes, we're Cas's parents," Dad replied.

"She was found on the side of a back road. A honeymooning couple pulled over and saw her and another standing there, seemed as though the car broke down,"

"There was someone else?" Mom pulled away.

I glance down, biting my lip.

"Yes, ma'am. She was found with Maria Luca. I'm sure you've heard of her, as you have lived in a town where she has been spotted in on multiple occasions in the past few months,"