The Party

Chapter Three

-Cassandra-

I sat on my bed, cross legged, eating a bowl of cereal. My laptop had an assigned website pulled up for some homework I was supposed to do, but I wasn't really paying attention to it.

After reading the second paragraph at least three times, the doorbell rang. I got up, knowing it was Grace since she had told me she was going to come over after she got ready for the party.

Opening the door, I see Grace standing there, all dressed up for tonight. Her red crop top and black mini skirt really accented her curves.

"Wow, you look really nice," I say, letting her in.

"Oh, I do? I wasn't completely sure," she says, looking down at herself.

"You look great, Grace,"

"Mreow,"

We both turn at the whine.

Hazelnut was rubbing against the wall coming over to Grace.

She bent down to pick up my cat. "Okay, know we've got to get you ready,"

"Pssh, I look fabulous," I joke, as we walked up to my room.

"Oh, come on, you're in jeans and a graphic tee, this is a party, thrown by Garrett of all people!"

I could tell what she was thinking by the knowing smile on her face. "Alright, I'll dress up for this party, what would you suggest?"

"Well, I'd recommend you not to copy by red and black crop top and skirt combo," she jokes.

I laugh, "Of course not! That would be treason!"

"I would normally go through your closet, but I have a content kitty on my lap which would be mad if I got up."

"You have a great point." I open my closet door for her, which didn't have much 'party-worthy' clothes.

"Do you have any dresses?" she suggests.

"Nope,"

"Well, you are tall..." she murmurs.

"Hey! You're short! I'm a decent height!"

"Uhm, I'm closer to the normal height than you are,"

"Uhm, no you're not?? I am??"

She shrugs. "Search it. I'm five foot three. Almost four. What are you? Five foot eight?"

"Five foot six...and a half.." I mutter.

Grace's face lights up. "Ooo! What about, like, a tank top with some cute shorts. You know, to show off your muscles."

I roll my eyes. "I don't have muscles."

"Have you seen some of the girls in our school? You definitely have muscles."

"Literally all I do is clean pools around town to make some money."

She points an accusing finger at me. "Which means you still have muscles."

"Okay, fine. Tank top, shorts. Now what if I get cold? I have dozens of jackets but I doubt you'd want me to wear a sweatshirt or something like that."

"Do you have a jean jacket or leather jacket?"

I turn to my closet, moving a few things around, then pulled a white leather jacket out. "What about this?"

"That would look great! Now, since I personally think your hair is absolutely gorgeous, we only have makeup left,"

I give her one of my famous 'looks'. "There's no way I'll let you do my makeup,"

She laughs a bit, stroking Hazelnut. "Fine, I won't do it, but can you promise me that you'll do it?"

"Yeah, whatever," I grabbed my outfit, then headed to the bathroom to change. The tank top was a navy blue, and the shorts were a light blue denim. I did a really simple, natural look with the makeup, making sure to cover up the majority of my acne with concealer. I finished up, then presented myself to Grace.

"Oh. My. Gosh!" she gushed. "You look amazing!"

I blush at her compliments.

"You know, you might meet someone at the party looking like that,"

"Oh come on, who's going to be there that I don't already know?"

She laughs. "Come on, don't want to be late, now do we?"

Linked by arms, we headed to her car so she could drive us to the party.

No one tried to cover up which house had the party. Every window had lights flooding out, all the cars were parked either in the driveway, street, or even the yard, and people were mingling about the house.

We got out of her car, then walked right up to the front door, which was propped open with a rock.

When we entered, some senior approached us with booze. "You girls want some?" he offers.

"No thanks," I politely decline, not knowing what could be in the drink.

Grace shook her head as well.

"Ayeee! More for us!" he cheered, going over to what I assumed to be his friend group.

"I'm gonna see if Cody is here," Grace whispered to me.

"Alright, I'll meet you out back," I say.

"Gotcha," she walked away, looking for her guy friend.

I found my way to the backyard, and took some pictures of what remained of the sunset. I couldn't see the setting sun through the trees, but I could see the final orange rays and the swirling pink and purple clouds. It was my favorite time of day, mostly because of the shadows of dusk. They were just absolutely beautiful. After a few pictures, I awkwardly stood there, waiting for Grace. There seemed to be less people out back, than there were in the house out front.

Parties haven't ever been my thing, I was a little more socially awkward than Grace was, with her extrovert-esque personality.

But then I noticed a girl who stood out from the rest of us. She could be another junior like me, but I haven't ever seen her around school. And I knew our school wasn't that racially diverse. I figured she was someone else that had been invited, instead of just the normal crowd of people who went to our school.

She was kinda cute, she wore a tee and shorts, with a jacket tied around her waist. I also noticed all the jewelry she wore. Then my eyes saw the bottle in her hand. Which probably meant she was a senior. She looked in my direction, and I quickly averted my gaze.

Come on, where are you Grace?

The girl walked up to me. "Hey," she says.

"Hey," I was really surprised she'd want to talk with me. Who was she? "I haven't seen you around school before, what's your name?"

"Uh, Mmmiranda?"

I wasn't convinced. Why would she lie about her name? "Okay, sure. I'm Cas, which is my actual name."

"Sorry, it's just-" 'Miranda' was cut off my sirens. She went rigid, and the bottle fell from her hand, glass went everywhere.

"COPS!" someone shouted from inside.

Panic took over me. Why were the cops here? Where was Grace? She was my ride.

'Miranda' grabbed my arm, and began to pull me away from the house. "Don't ask questions. Just run,"

Questions swarmed my head, but I knew one thing for certain; I didn't want to be seen at a party the cops went to. And since this 'Miranda' girl seemed to know what to do, I ran with her.