A Huge Mistake

Chapter Four

-Maria-

I didn't actually intend on crashing some high school party. I was scouting out this new area and got attracted by the lights, the music, the cars. There was a guy, who was most likely a senior, who offered me a drink so I took it. I figured I'd linger a bit so no one thought I was acting a suspicious.

And then there was Cas. I caught her looking my way, so I thought why not walk up to her and say hey? She looked pretty in her outfit, and wow her hair was amazing.

I was such an idiot. I hesitated in giving my name, and she didn't buy it. Of course she didn't buy it. Then when I heard the sirens, I knew it was because of me. And Cas knew too much. Sure she seemed nice enough, but I wasn't risking it. So, in the moment, I figured the best course of action was to drag Cas farther into my mess. And she actually followed.

I knew Cas would still follow at this point, so I let go of her arm. I was sprinting as fast as I could to get as much distance as I possibly could.

"Wait...up," Cas panted from behind.

I saw a building ahead, and thought we could hide behind it to catch our breaths. "Just a little further," I mutter.

The building was a tall business place, but it would cover us. I pull Cas against the wall next to me.

I leaned over a bit, clutching a stitch in my side.

She sat on the ground, gasping for air. "My friend is still back there," she says.

"If your friend is smart, she'd have gotten herself out of there," I reply, pacing back and forth. Now what? Ugh, I was such an idiot for approaching Cas.

"I'm assuming you know what's going on, 'Miranda'?"

"My name isn't Miranda,"

"No, really? What a shock that is," she said sarcastically.

"And yes, I do know what happened," I ignored her comment. "But we can't discuss it here, it's too dangerous to the both of us,"

"Uhm, what?! Are you a criminal or something? Is that why the cops arrived?"

I hesitated, then figured why the hell not? She already knew my name and face, why not just tell her more? "Probably, and I wouldn't exactly label myself a 'criminal',"

"Did you break a law?"

I paused. "No,"

"You hesitated,"

"Look, I personally never murdered someone, so I'm not as bad as I could be. Now, do you have a phone on you?" I was becoming agitated with Cas.

"Duh,"

"Can I use it?"

"No! How can I know I can trust you?"

"How can I know I can trust you?" I turn the question around on her.

She contemplated it, then pulled a phone out of her back pocket. "Why do you need it?"

"So I can make a call so I can tell you what's going on without having to worry about who's nearby,"

"Fine, whatever, here," she handed it over.

I punched in Diego's number. It rang just once before he picked up. Before he said anything, I whisper into the phone, "I saw a cool millipede today,"

"What? Who's this- Oh! Oh, crap," he must've remembered the codes we came up with a while back.

I tried to think of a reasonable time to meet up. "Are we on for ten?"

"Yeah, uh, where?" he asks.

"I don't care, what about dessert? Does dessert sound good or should we go for a walk?" I glanced around, a little nervous.

"Dessert sounds great, are you-,"

"It's me, myself, and I," I cut him off, then hung up, promptly handing Cas her phone.

"How is setting up a date going to help me find out what's going on?"

"Just trust me, okay? We're kind of stuck working together at this point, 'kay?"

"Whatever, I sure hope whatever dessert is, it's good,"

I couldn't help but chuckle. She had no idea what those codes were.

+++

Soon enough, we arrive at Diego's uncle's bar.

"This isn't dessert," Cas muttered.

"Of course it isn't," I reply, heading in.

"We're underage, I doubt they'll let us in,"

"Just be quiet and follow me," I tell her.

Mister Rafael was behind the bar, cleaning a glass. He gives me a nod, but gestures towards Cas.

I slightly put up my hand, signalling she was with me, and he nodded us to the back.

None of the patrons seemed to notice our presence, and we slipped into the cellar.

Oh, how I've not missed this meet up spot. The musky smell of liquor and moldy wood, the cobwebs and dead bugs littering the ground, and the single flickering light reminded me how this was my least favorite meet up place.

Diego stood up from the barrel he was sitting on. "Who's this?"

"That's Cas," I say. "And I kind of owe her an explanation about who I am,"

He looked over at Cas. "How did you meet Mmm..." he glanced at me, and I nodded. "Maria?"

"At a party," she replied simply.

He looked back at me, disappointment all over his face. "You went to a party?"

"In my defence, I was left unsupervised. Also it was a complete accident,"

Diego put his face in his hands. "Alright, so why are we all here again?"

"So I can hopefully get an explanation on why we had to run away from the cops," Cas gave me a glare.

Diego mumbled something, and I sighed.

"Look, I'm going to apologize in advance for roping you in, but here goes,"

"I'll be upstairs making sure no one gets too suspicious," Diego excused himself.

It was just Cas and I, down in the bar's cellar.

She looked at me, her eyes tired and patient. "So? Hit me with it,"