News Reporters

Chapter Seventeen

-Cassandra-

Waking up in the motel room was quite an experience. I was freezing, as the air conditioning had been blowing on me throughout the night, and I was to scared to crawl under the sheets. I would have tried to turn it off, but there was absolutely no buttons or switches on the unit.

The shower water was running, so I assumed Maria was taking a shower. I wasn't so sure if I really wanted to spend another night at this one star place, but I guess it would work.

Sitting up on the edge of the bed, I pull down my recent phone notifications. Seven missed calls from Grace; Twenty-one from Mom. With a small ping in my gut, I swiped both. The other notification was a trending news article recommended for me. Clicking on it made me gasp.

'Cassandra Johnson, Junior of West White Ridge High, Has Now Been Missing For Twenty-Four Hours' read the headline.

I scroll down to read the article.

'Cassandra Johnson, resident of White Ridge Nevada, and student of West White Ridge High, has been filed MISSING since yesterday, Tuesday afternoon. Worried mother and father both got home to see their daughter was not home, and both get an alarming call from the school, saying she had not attended any of her classes. Their neighbor, Violet Hughes reported that she had seen Cassandra Johnson's car leave the driveway the same time she usually left for school. After interviewing some of her classmates and friends, no one had anything to say as to where she went, all were shocked at the news of their classmate and friend missing. Speculation says she may have been kidnapped, as parents have told local police and us that she had been acting strange since last Friday night.'

I couldn't believe it. After reading the article I was a little scared to call back Grace and my mom. They could easily trace my phone to here, and most certainly police would come as well.

I couldn't believe it. I should've known better than to leave without any trace. Although, I did message Grace. But it wasn't stated anywhere in the article about her knowing something about my whereabouts. Had she kept quiet? I would've greatly appreciated if she had, knowing she knew about Maria.

What about the lady who worked at the receptionist desk? Would she read news from some small town in Nevada? Probably not. She didn't recognize Maria from the news, so she wouldn't recognize me, would she?

A few minutes later, Maria stepped out of the bathroom, wearing a fresh change of clothes and sporting wet hair. "Good morning,"

I just nod, still absorbed in my thoughts.

She sat down next to me on the bed. "What is it?"

"People are looking for me, I was reported missing,"

"Oh. Well, I guess we both have made the news?"

I laugh lightly. "Yeah, I guess we have,"

"Why don't you call your parents, let them know you're fine?"

"I can't do that, it'll endanger you. I know them, and as soon as they hear from me, they'll freak out and try to find me. Most likely they'll trace my phone back to here, and there's a good chance police will come,"

Maria bit her lip, nodding. "Can I read the article?"

"Yeah," I hand her my phone.

After she read the article, she handed it back. "Wow. Do you want to risk another night here?"

"I'm sure we're fine here. Don't you think the lady would've recognized you before she'd recognize me?"

"True, but where will we go tomorrow?"