Three Cats

Chapter Six

-Maria-

After I finished eating, I crept back up to Cas's room. I knew I'd need to leave sometime this morning, most likely after Cas woke back up so she could make sure her mom wasn't there to see me slip out.

Cas had fallen asleep quite quickly, by the looks of it. She had her back to me, her long brown hair covered the entirety of her pillow. She seemed like such a sweet person, and I was still surprised that she offered me a place to spend the night. Even if it was just once, I'd always remember it. Even with knowing the most prominent details about me, she still let it happen.

If I would admit it to myself, I would even say that I liked her. She was pretty, and she had something about her that made me gravitate towards her. And even knowing the dangers of it all, I wanted to stay at least one more night. But how could I even convince her?

Quietly, I walked around her room. I couldn't ever stay still, not for long. I always needed to be doing something. I strode over to her window, taking a quick peek out the blinds. The morning sun was rising, birds flew from branch to branch. It was like any other day.

I drew away from the window, not wanting to risk being seen, even if most were still asleep at this hour, as it was now the weekend. Perhaps I could do the same, go back to sleep. I went back to where I had folded the blanket and placed the pillow. Sure, it was the ground, but it was better than sleeping out on a bench, in the freezing rain, in bursts. Never knowing if someone was about to harass you, pickpocket your jewelry, or even worse...

Here, I had a pillow and a blanket. The floor was carpeted and soft, and there was a roof. This was by far probably the top place I had stayed the night at in a long while.

After a little while, I fell back asleep.

Something, something that was very soft, was nudging my shoulder. Then my arm, then back to my shoulder. It was like a gentle little shove mixed with a nudge.

I blink a few times, letting the light filter in. There was a fluffy orange cat rubbing against me.

He must've snuck in when either Cas or I came up from the kitchen from earlier.

There was a groan from Cas's bed, and she rolled over to face this cat and I. "Oh nooo," she yawned. "Is he bothering you?"

"Uhh, no," I say, sleep still in my voice.

She reached out her arm, motioning for the cat to come over, and he did. He strode over to her, tail poised high, then went straight to her outstretched hand.

I prop myself up, and opened my mouth to ask Cas what the cat's name was, but she began speaking.

"You little whiny baby," she muttered, picking it up. "Again, I'm sorry if he woke you,"

"No, it's okay, wh-,"

"He must've snuck in when you came in, or even when I came in," she interrupted me once again.

All I wanted to know was what this cat's name was. "So, uh, you have a cat," I say instead.

"Mhmm, I have three," she smiled proudly despite the fact she could hardly keep her eyes open.

"You have, three, cats?"

She rubbed her eyes while nodding. "Mhmm, all rescues. I swear I'm not a 'crazy-cat-lady', it's just, there was a kill shelter closing and they were selling all the pets for really low prices and I just had too,"

"Oh," so she wasn't going to like, tell me the names?

"Hey, uh, I can probably grab the air mattress now and we can get it set up for you," she offered.

I raise an eyebrow. "I thought you wanted me gone around now?"

She looked down at the cat in her lap, but she couldn't hide the little smile on her face. "Well, I thought maybe you could spend one more night, because I doubt anyone would look for you here, and you wouldn't need to worry about food and shelter and all,"

I was ecstatic at her words. She wanted me to stay! Sure it would be just one more night, but the fact that she wanted me to stay meant a lot to me. I couldn't keep the smile from coming to my face.

"Well, what will you tell your parents, because what if they hear the air mattress blowing up?"

"I'll lie, I'll say uh, I'm building a blanket fort? Plus, it's just my mom here and it's," she paused to look at her phone, "It's only a little after eight so yeah, I can just tell her that,"

I hadn't realized it was after eight already. I must've slept longer than I had anticipated. "You know, it wouldn't hurt to actually make one. It's a perfect excuse not to come in, in fear that the door opening would ruin it. And it would probably hide me better," I offer.

"I like the way you think," she smiles. She looked down at her phone, and typed something quite quickly. After what I assumed a few messages sent back and forth, she picked up her phone, pressing it against her ear. "Whassup?"

I pick at my nails, trying to make it seem like I wasn't listening in on the conversation, even though it was hard not to.

"Look Grace, I'm fine. I'll explain it all later." she paused for a moment. "Yeah, one is fine," another pause. "I promise to explain when you come by, okay? Have I ever broken a promise with you? Also, could a also bring the pamphlet thingy that lists all the prices for each type of thingy and all, thanks. Bye!" she hung up.

"Was that your friend?" I ask, looking up.

"Yeah, she's going to drop by around one,"

I stiffen. "What?"

"Don't worry about it, I'll tell her she can't stay for long for reasons, give her a quick explanation of what happened to me last night, and then she's also dropping off some stuff for me, so I can get my car fixed since her older brother is a mechanic,"

I smirk. "Sure, I've seen quite a few movies and know exactly how that one goes,"

She throws her head back laughing, but quickly quieted herself. "Oh jeez, no way! He's like over twenty and he's a bit of a prick,"

I laugh as well, but the words sent a kind of comfort through me. I brush off the feeling, and decided to change the subject. "Should we get started on this 'fort'?"

Cas pushed herself out of bed, her cat jumping off her lap just in time. "Let's do it. Also, if you want a change of clothes, lemme know. I can see if I have anything your size, but for now I'll be right back. I need to grab the air mattress, some sheets, and some food," she slipped out the door.

Her cat sat next to the closed door, meowing loudly at it, so I cracked open the door, nudging him out. I'd figure out his name soon enough.