Chapter 41

Dean POV:

I wake up in a comfortable bed, without a crick in my neck and one arm contorts painfully under my body, and it's jarring because it definitely isn't where I fall asleep. I roll over and stare at the ceiling, trying to remember everything that has happened the night before, but I can't.

I was pretty sure that I'd passed out in the car last night while wandering around to find Seth. Now I feel like I'm fucking dead, like a part of me has been torn out suddenly and brutally. There's a hollow pit in my gut that aches dully, as constant as my heartbeat that I don't think ever going to go away.

Who took me here, anyway? Maybe Baron tracked me down and brought me back to the house. With a sharp twinge in my chest, I look over at the clock and notice it is 11:48 am. So it's a brand new day, and I can't believe the world is still spinning.

I sigh and lean over to grab my phone from the bedside table, wanting to know that I have got any important calls or texts. As I'm about to swipe the screen, I hear the lock click and the door swing wide open. I jump a little as my cousin enters the room.

He's wearing dark, loose sweatpants and a hoodie, carrying two coffees and a greasy paper bag. His lips quirk when my eyes fall on him, and he says, "Of course you're still in bed... I got breakfast."

I shake my head and turn my attention to the phone, noticing that I have got several calls from Roman since dawn. Oh shit! I swipe the screen and call him immediately, knowing something is going on.

When he attends the call, I approach him quickly, hoping there's nothing wrong has happened. "What, Roman? Is anything important?"

"Yeah. Mom saw Dolph at our gate earlier morning." He says, rushed and terrified.

"What?!" I throw the covers off furiously and stumble across the carpet, legs feeling unsteady suddenly, fiery blood rushing to my head. "I'll be there in twenty minutes."

I slide the phone into my pocket and run downstairs with Baron to fly over Roman's house without even freshening up. On the way, we inform the detectives and request them to come over. What's going on around us?

When we reach his house, I invade it quickly and approach my mom-in-law about what has happened. A few minutes later, the detectives also arrive and investigate each one of us for some details.

All the while, I'm just going along like a zombie because my heart is pounding. I feel, if it is to beat once more, it will fall into my hands, then staring at me, that I forget everything, even my last memory.

I feel something, but I can't figure out what. Falling as if someone has thrown me in a box, shaken me around, and then placed me in somewhere that is unknown to my memory.

The strange bewilderment that I feel can only be described as a feeling I have never encountered. Confusedly, I have too many emotions running through me, regret, despair, sadness, and the sense that I have lost.

A few minutes later, I look around to notice that I'm standing in Renee's room with the detectives chatting with her. With a loud, frustrated sigh, I turn to leave but stop when my eyes land on something familiar to me.

Curiously, I walk over to the table and slide my hand in between the books, which are holding a phone that Seth's! I pull the phone up and think how it will be here if it has lost with him that day. Is it means...

As I glance up with huge thoughts, my eyes settle on Renee, who gets distracted by Fandango. Do I need to expose the phone now? No! I have to clarify something before revealing this. So I slide the phone into my pocket and leave the room while my eyes are on her.