Chapter One

You lived in the Atlantic Ocean out in the middle of the sea. The waters were always mostly choppy but the water was still warm and held a lot of sea life and the biggest stretch of coral you had ever seen alone the seabed. You lived with your merfather inside a sea cave, hidden away by drapes of seaweed and colourful coral. You never wanted to leave the ocean but human life fascinated you. Ever since you were a guppie you would swim up to the surface and watch teenagers partying on boats or lovers sailing on a romantic get away. You wanted to meet a human but it was forbidden as a mermaid. You understood though and never got too close to the boats. You understood that humans polluted the oceans and destroyed many coral homes that other mermaids lived in due to global warming, humans are selfish creatures only interested in themselves but still you couldn't help but fantasies about meeting one.

It will be your 18th birthday in 2 days and due to it being such a special birthday, your father promised he would take you to the most beautiful coral island he had ever seen !! He said the Island is close to the shore but since your going to be 18 he trusts you enough to stay safe. You can't wait !! You'll see new species of fish and can pick the most beautiful sea flowers to take home and decorate your room with.

You swim around your room and make air bubbles with your tail and swim through them with excitement. You can't stop thinking about the adventures you'll have and maybe you'll even meet.. the one merman you can spend the rest of your life with!! You giggle at the silly thought and grab your mermaid purse and swim quickly towards the main coral room. You see your father sitting at the entrance of the cave, staring out into the ocean but he turns his head your way when he feels the ocean rippling with your arrival.

"Father," you call to him "we must leave early!! I can't wait until tomorrow when we leave, my tail is in knots thinking about all the fun we'll have!!"

Your father chuckles at your childish behaviour but none the less gets up and swims towards you "anything for my little merprincess, let me just grab my things"

He swims away whilst you woop in excitement!! You can't believe he agreed and you swim outside your cave into the open sea and swim with the fishes whilst you wait for your father to appear and whisk you away to your dream land...