Chapter 9

Chapter Eight

They were travelling on the packet ship Atlanta. Atlanta carried everything from trading goods to hessian sacks of letters. The majority of passengers were travelling in steerage, however ten “well to do” rooms, as Isaac called them, were available to those who could afford it.

Maggie watched as the poor mothers and fathers shepherded their children on board the ship. They lugged their bags of belongings with them while making sure the children made it up the ramp safely. Maggie could see that they were travelling in search of a new life. England could be a cruel place for those who did not have a steady income. Maggie knew very well how fortunate she was.

There was a huge difference between the passengers travelling steerage and the passengers travelling in first class. There was a very finely dressed lady who was dressed in fine American fashions. She was fanning her flushed cheeks with a feather fan and was watching as her Negro maid removed her things from her carriage. The maid was dressed in a simple, navy calico gown and a matching cap that covered her hair. Her dress was nothing to that of her mistress.

Maggie noticed the odd stares the maid was receiving, though she was not paying attention to them. Maggie wondered if she was free or if she was a slave. She did not like the expression on her mistress’ face. Her painted lips were turned down into a distasteful frown.

“Come along,” Isaac prompted, “it is time to board.”

Two neatly dressed stewards appeared to help carry their trunks on board. Maggie helped to carry one of hers while the men managed the rest.  

The ten well to do rooms were in a private, carpeted corridor. The stewards led them to the end two rooms and opened the doors for them. Maggie and Max’s trunks were placed in one room while Isaac’s were put in the other.

The room was a little larger than the inn that they had been staying in. There were two reasonable sized beds, a breakfast table, a writing desk and a basin. A small, circular window occupied the far wall. Through it, Maggie could see the ocean. She realised that this would be the last time that she would see England for a long time. Maggie and Max joined Isaac and the stewards outside the room after a few moments. Isaac was asking them about the evening schedule and the meal times. Maggie could not imagine that there would be much of an evening schedule but it would be nice to have a dance now and then.

A finely dressed family entered the corridor accompanied by two stewards with their belongings. Maggie noticed that they, too, were also followed by a Negro servant. The husband and wife took no notice of their neighbours but their small daughter spotted Maggie and she peered at her curiously. She was a sweet looking girl with curly red hair cherub cheeks. Maggie smiled at her kindly.

She immediately tugged on her mother’s skirt and pointed at Maggie. “Momma,” she whined, trying to get her attention.

Her mother looked down to her daughter. “What is it, Louise?” she asked tiredly.

“Momma, is that a mulatto?” she asked, still pointing to Maggie.

Maggie had never before heard the term, but she could deduce that it was negative, seeing as the child had referred to her as ‘that’.

Louise’s mother glanced and Maggie and turned her nose up immediately. “Yes, Louise, it is,” she replied. “Howard,” she hissed to her husband. “I thought you paid for first class.” Again Maggie was referred to as if she were an object rather than a person. An object or an insect by the way that the couple were staring at her.

“Excuse me!” Isaac said angrily, marching over towards the family. “Did I just hear correctly? Did you just refer to my daughter as a mulatto?”