Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty – One

The doctor had arrived later that morning and had properly dressed Maggie’s head wound as well as binding her wrist in a tight splint that kept the damaged bone still.

He did confirm that Maggie had experienced a concussion and had checked her eyes to ensure that there was nothing wrong with her brain.

He also left some laudanum for any pain that she might feel with her wrist. She would be able to have a spoonful here and there to manage it.

Maggie and Max sat in awkward silence in the dining room at lunchtime with Isaac and Joanna. Isaac looked wracked with guilt while Joanna kept her face blank. Zachary had not been mentioned, nor seen, so she assumed that he had decided to make himself scarce.

“Oh, for goodness’ sake,” Max exclaimed, dropping his knife on his plate which made a clattering noise. “Are you going to bloody well apologise, or not?” he demanded to know of Isaac.

“It’s not as simple as that,” Isaac muttered.

“Of course it is,” Max quipped cynically. “You say, ‘Maggie, I apologise for exposing you to that utter bastard’.”

“Hold your tongue,” snapped Joanna. “Zachary is still my nephew.”

“Don’t,” hissed Maggie under her breath as Max went to retort something nasty.

“Maggie, I am very sorry,” Isaac said sincerely. “I assure you I had no idea –”

Maggie interrupted him. “Let us not discuss it further. So long as that man does not cross me again then we shall have no issue.”

“This was Zachary’s house long before it was yours,” Joanna added rudely. Maggie wondered if Joanna would be so quick to defend her nephew if she knew he had fathered two illegitimate sons through his horrid behaviour.

Could this woman not comprehend just how horrendous her nephew had behaved? “Mrs Lavelle, I have only just learned that my father is dying so it seems as though I shall inherit this house a lot sooner then I originally realised. I would behave appropriately if I were you. I know what it is like to live on barely anything and I would have no qualms with evicting you without a shilling if you continue to treat me this way.” It was a true warning. Technically, Maggie would be paying for Joanna’s lifestyle upon Isaac’s death. Why would she want to provide for a woman who had only shown her cruel indifference? 

“Hear, hear,” murmured Max in agreement.

“Is that a threat, Miss Maggie?” Joanna arched a perfect, blonde brow. She looked to her husband for support but Isaac offered none. Maggie hoped that this meant he agreed with her.

“A mere friendly suggestion.” Maggie smiled sweetly, though the expression was filled with obvious falseness. She had no desire to tiptoe around this woman anymore. She did not care if Joanna didn’t like her. She had come to terms with the fact that there would always be people who judged her without truly knowing her.

“Zachary wants to apologise to you anyway, Miss Maggie,” sniffed Joanna. “He is very remorseful and he desires your forgiveness.”

“I have no desire to forgive him,” Maggie retorted angrily. “I have no desire to see him. You will not permit him here, Mr Lavelle,” she instructed Isaac. She had become quite pushy overnight though she would not feel guilty about it.

“Fear not,” Isaac said quietly, “for he will not be welcome here any time soon. I am very disappointed and ashamed in Zachary. I thought he was better than this.”