Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

The inside of the house was even grander than the outside. The foyer was a grand atrium, open to every room on the ground floor and the top floor wrapped around the atrium in a square. The fine furnishings were all either white, sky blue or wicker. The house was so bright and airy. It was difficult to believe that it was winter. In England, it would be dark, the fires would be lit in every room and the temperature would be lower than freezing.

A Negro woman exited one of the rooms carrying a broom. She wore a maid’s uniform and her ebony coloured hair was covered by a white cap. She had a small smile on her face which quickly disappeared when she saw her ropable mistress gasp.

“Nora, how many times must I tell you to stay out of the front rooms between the hours of eight and six?” she asked exasperatedly. “The same rule applies for all of you!”

Maggie was puzzled. How could a maid possibly clean a house if she wasn’t able to be in the room during the day? Montrose’s housemaids were very discreet and cleaned rooms when they were not occupied.

“Begging your pardon, Mistress,” Nora said apologetically.

Joanna merely sighed and frowned, letting all who were witnessing the conflict know how seriously displeased she was. “Don’t let it happen again. Just remember that Mr Lavelle feeds your two bastards.”  

Maggie’s eyes widened as Nora’s bottom lip trembled before she nodded once. Nora clearly had children and Joanna had just threatened them. Did she mean that if Nora did not comply with the rules her children would not be fed?

“Ah, Nora.” Isaac arrived beside them, pulling one of the trunks behind him. Max immediately retreated to fetch another. “How are you? How are the boys?”

Maggie couldn’t help but feel relieved at Isaac’s kind approach to Nora. He seemed genuinely interested in her and her children.

“Good, sir,” Nora replied to Isaac, speaking warmly. “The boys are good as well.”

“Glad to hear it,” Isaac replied. “Now, let me introduce you to my daughter, Miss Maggie.” He held his arm out to Maggie, motioning for her to come forward. “You will be attending to her for the duration of her stay.”

“Hello, Miss Maggie,” Nora said politely.

“Good day,” Maggie replied, smiling.

“I’m going to help Max carry the rest of the trunks in. Jo, perhaps you’d like to show Maggie to her room?” Isaac urged, giving his wife a look that told Maggie that he wanted to two of them to get along.

Joanna obliged. “Nora, collect Miss Maggie’s trunks once they’re inside. Miss Maggie, follow me, please.”

Joanna led Maggie up the stairs and onto the landing. She selected one of the first doors and led Maggie inside a tastefully decorated bedroom. It was not as large as her bedroom in England, but it was a very beautiful room. Her white bed was positioned in between two open windows which led out onto a balcony. Sheer white curtains hung in front of the windows and a soft white rug was positioned on top of the timber floor. There was a white fire place on the right wall and a plush settee sat in front of it. It was quaint, homely and comfortable.

“Will it do?” Joanna asked, standing beside her bed.

“Yes, it is wonderful,” Maggie replied sincerely. She took a deep breath and decided to make peace with Joanna. They had only known each other for a few minutes but it was clear that Joanna felt uneasy about Maggie’s presence in her home. “Thank you for allowing me to stay here, Mrs Lavelle,” she said gratefully.