Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

The church services were similar to those that she attended in England. They listened to a preacher deliver an address on the importance of Christmas and their worship. He also gave a prayer that all who were too ill to attend the service and wished all of his parishioners a safe and merry Christmas. They sang several hymns and concluded the service with a jolly carol.

Maggie did enjoy the church service. It was a true reminder of home and a welcome distraction to the tension that existed between herself and Joanna.

Maggie tried not to laugh as they sang a happy chorus of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen as Max’s singing talents were as subpar as his sister’s. He liked to tease Rebecca about her singing but he was no better. He comically told her to hush when he noticed her amusement.

The next morning, Maggie awoke alone in her bed. Max had already left to return to his own room as not to risk Nora or anyone walking in on them.

It was Christmas Day. If she were at home, her sisters would have woken her up by climbing into bed with her. Her large family would have gathered in the private, upstairs sitting room to exchange gifts while they were still in their night things. They would enjoy a warm breakfast by the crackling fireplace before her Aunt Bess would recruit the ladies to journey down to the kitchen to prepare the Christmas Day feast.

“Miss Maggie?” Nora called through the door, knocking three times. “Are you awake?”

“Yes,” Maggie replied, climbing out of bed. She picked up her robe from the foot of the bed and wrapped it around herself.

Nora entered her bedroom with a breakfast tray. “Merry Christmas, Miss Maggie.” She smiled warmly as she set it down on the bed. She then opened her drapes and allowed the morning sunlight to stream in.

“Merry Christmas to you, too,” Maggie replied cheerfully. She then remembered something from the day before. “Why are you working, Nora?” Maggie asked, confused. “Mr Kincaid said that two days’ work had to be completed yesterday as Mr Lavelle was allowing you time to yourselves today,” she recalled.

“The field workers, he means Miss Maggie,” Nora clarified. “The maids don’t work as hard so we have to keep going.” Maggie could see that her teeth were gritted.

Maggie knew that to be untrue. Maids worked their fingers to the bone, keeping the large estate houses spick and span. “That hardly seems fair,” Maggie said angrily. “You should spend the day with your sons.”

Nora chuckled. “I’d like to Miss, but it ain’t worth making Mrs Lavelle madder than a wet hen.”

Maggie rolled her eyes. “You should take an hour or two. They won’t notice,” she urged.

“It’s very thoughtful of you, Miss Maggie, but the maids all have someone that they’d like to take an hour to spend time with. It would not be fair if I was the only one.”

Maggie truly admired the woman before her. Nora was a very selfless person.

The breakfast that Nora had brought her was similar to what she’d been served the day before. Biscuits and salted pork. She’d also been provided with coffee, fresh milk and a small pot of hot water. She would not be touching the vile coffee but she excitedly fetched the tea leaves that she’d brought with her from England.

“Have you ever had a proper pot of English tea, Nora?” She did not have a strainer so she would have to instruct Nora to avoid drinking the loose tea leaves at the bottom of the cup.

“No, no I haven’t,” Nora replied. “We usually drink milk.”

Maggie used a spoon and measured out a suitable amount to put into the cup on the tray. She then poured in the hot water and enjoyed the familiar aroma that came with a freshly brewed cup of tea. Maggie liked to have milk in her tea so she added a dash as well.