Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Janna left them in the sitting room alone.

Zachary took Janna’s seat on the settee. He was smiling at Maggie kindly. “What did you need to speak to me about?” he asked curiously, laying his arm across the back of the settee casually.

Maggie watched his arm intensely. Did he plan to put it around her? Even though she was still unsure of his feelings towards Max, having another man’s arm around her would make Maggie feel as though she was being somewhat unfaithful to her friend! “Mr Kincaid,” she began, “this afternoon I have learned somewhat unsettling news.”

“Oh?” He arched a brow.

“Were you aware that it was Mr and Mrs Lavelle’s intention for a marriage to take place between us?” Maggie was still angry and uncomfortable saying the words.

Zachary frowned. “Yes, of course.” He nodded.

He was in on the plan as well. Maggie gritted her teeth and shook her head. “I cannot believe you people!” she exclaimed. Just as she was about to rise from the settee to storm away, Zachary grabbed a hold of her forearm. The movement shocked her, though it did not hurt.

“Miss Maggie, what are you talking about?” he asked desperately.

Maggie huffed. “I understand, you know,” she snapped. “I know that this plantation means more to you than it does to me, but it is terribly dishonest of you to plan on marrying me just to secure it!”

“Miss Maggie,” gasped Zachary, “I did no such thing!”

Maggie paused. “What do you mean?” she asked in a calmer voice.

Zachary wet his lips with his tongue before continuing. “I mean that my aunt simply hinted that a marriage between us would be desirable, to keep the heirs in the family, you see. But there was not ever anything mentioned regarding the plantation,” he promised. “I was not going to make any move to pursue you, Miss Maggie, if my feelings towards you were not genuine. Do you really think I am the kind of man who would lie to a woman to simply secure a piece of land?” He shook his head in disgust. “Maggie, you are the woman I intend to spend the rest of my life with and I cannot have you thinking of me in this way.”

Maggie did believe him. He had been honest in confessing that Isaac and Joanna had wanted them to marry but adamant in saying that the plantation had nothing to do with it. Why confess to one part and deny another if he was not being truthful?

Despite his honesty, Maggie still had no intention on fulfilling Isaac, Joanna and Zachary’s wish in a marriage.

“Why?” was all she said.

“Why what?”

Maggie knew that Max would be able to answer this question but she wanted to ask Zachary. “Why do you want to marry me?” If it was not for the plantation, then for what?

Zachary withdrew himself slightly before cocking his head. “Well, why wouldn’t I?” he said simply. “You’re beautiful and kind and … suitable.”

“Suitable?” repeated Maggie. She had never been called suitable before. She was not sure if she liked that word.

“Appropriate,” clarified Zachary. The man looked to be grasping at straws.

Maggie did not like that word any better. Of course, it was better than being referred to as inappropriate, but a lady did not want to hear such words from a man who planned on marrying her. She wanted to hear things like ‘I cannot imagine life without you’ or ‘I was dead before I knew you’. Maggie was not a pathetic romantic, she was merely the daughter of parents who did in fact profess their undying love for each other after a glass of wine or four at dinner. She and her siblings often thought it quite amusing.