Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

The rest of the breakfast conversation was limited to that of polite small talk. Joanna informed Maggie and Max of the dinner schedule for the Christmas feast the following day and she asked them to be ready for Midnight Mass precisely at eleven o’clock in the evening.

A young Negro maid cleared her throat in the archway of the dining room and captured the attention of its occupants. She stood nervously, her head down with her chin on her chest. Her hands anxiously fiddled with her apron. Maggie wondered if she’d been inherited or purchased. The utter notion was barbaric, enough to put Maggie off of the breakfast that she was not particularly enjoying.

“Yes, Constance?” Isaac prompted. 

“Begging your pardon, Mr Lavelle,” Constance said quietly, “but there is a visitor at the door.”

“Oh, excellent,” Isaac said cheerfully. “Tell Mr Kincaid that Miss Maggie will greet him in a moment.”

At least Maggie now had the excuse to abandon the breakfast and the company. Aside from Max, of course. She hoped he would enjoy the beautiful day.

“Sorry, sir, but the visitor is not Mr Kincaid,” Constance said timidly, “but Miss Janna Sunderland. She wants to see Mr Montgomery.”

Maggie’s teeth clenched. The woman was persistent. And bold. Women did not call on men. Self-respecting women did not open themselves up to such an appearance of desperation. Max was under the impression that this Miss Janna was wealthy, but what if she wasn’t? Just because she said she was wealthy, that did not mean that it was true. She didn’t want to believe that Max was behaving quixotically but what if he was?  

Max grinned and dabbed the corners of his mouth with his napkin before rising from the table. “Excuse me,” he said politely. Max was a little too eager to meet with the woman for Maggie’s liking. She was all but scowling at the table.

“Invite Miss Janna for dinner,” Joanna said enthusiastically before Max left the dining room. “And if she wants, she can attend church with us, too.”

“I will ask,” was all Max offered in reply before he quickly disappeared to greet Janna.

“Janna is a good match,” Isaac said kindly. “Well done, sweetheart,” he commended, resting his hand on his wife’s forearm affectionately.

Joanna bowed her head, as if she were actually accepting congratulations. “I agree. They will do well together.”

Maggie, like always, could not hold her tongue. “How can you say that?” she exclaimed angrily.

Both Isaac and Joanna looked at Maggie with surprised expressions on their faces. “I beg your pardon?” Joanna asked sharply, arching a perfect, blonde brow.

“You have known Max for less than four and twenty hours and you are behaving as though you have extensively researched his likes and dislikes in order to find him a bride!” Maggie continued, huffing.

“Child, he is a man. His likes and dislikes are very limited,” Joanna said condescendingly.

“Jo,” Isaac muttered in warning.

“No, dear, I am being perfectly serious,” Joanna rebuffed. “Janna is gorgeous, wealthy and pleasant,” she said simply, “what else could young Maximus desire?”

Maggie’s eyes narrowed. “Let me think,” she replied sarcastically. “Perhaps a bride who shares her own opinion?” she suggested. “Perhaps a bride who might challenge him? Perhaps a bride who won’t always say ‘Yes, dear’?” The latter was a direct dig at Joanna and she knew it. Joanna’s face was like thunder. “And to further my point on you not knowing what is good for Max, his name is Maxwell. I know his Christian name is nothing of consequence as his father’s hotel empire is what attracted you to marrying him off in the first place. But just so you know, Max solicits my counsel on everything. I shan’t approve of your choice in bride so your hope in bringing the Montgomery fortune to Georgia will fail.” She rose from the table hastily while Isaac burst into a fit of hearty laughter.