Chapter 23

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love." Washington Irving

--

Chapter Twenty – Three

“Today, we lay to rest a kind soul who we lost too soon,” said the preacher, who stood before the mourners and Isaac’s grave. He read several passages from his bible before several of Isaac’s friends spoke about him.

Maggie enjoyed hearing tales from his friends who seemed to be very fond of him. She was able to hear stories about a younger Isaac which was a very nice thing. Joanna did not speak. Instead she stood silently, wiping away her tears with a lace handkerchief. Again, she was covered in black clothing.

Maggie had donned a black cloak over her darkest coloured gown, a rich plum colour.

Before the conclusion of the funeral, the preacher asked everyone to bow their heads in prayer. “Lord,” he began, “we ask that you welcome our husband, father and friend into your loving arms. Guide him as you continue to guide us. Amen.”

“Amen,” murmured Maggie. She stood in between Nate and Max, both of whom were holding her hand.

Several of Isaac’s friends collected one of the four shovels that were lying on the ground beside the grave. Together, they buried Isaac and patted the ground flat.

When the ground had returned to its original state, Joanna broke down in violent sobs. She was quickly comforted by one of the finely dressed female mourners. Maggie remembered seeing her at the Christmas party that Joanna and Isaac hosted.

Isaac’s head stone was very nice. It was made of near faultless Pennsylvania bluestone. Carved into the flat surface was Isaac’s name, his date of birth, and his date of death. Below those details were the words Beloved Husband.

Maggie was not offended at Joanna’s exclusion at Isaac’s role as a father. He had been her beloved husband longer then he had been Maggie’s father.

A small reception was held at the plantation after the funeral. The mood was very morbid and quiet yet it was very respectful. A select few of Joanna’s friends were gathered around her comfortingly while Isaac’s friends were enjoying the fine catering while reminiscing about their friend. Several of them offered Maggie condolences, though they were unsure of how to engage with the recently found child of Isaac.

“How are you, darling?” Nate asked her once he, Maggie and Max were in a secluded corner.  

“It was a lovely service, was it not?” Maggie murmured in reply, wanting to change the subject away from her. Truth be told, she was feeling very flat and sombre.

“As fine a funeral as I have ever been to,” Max said somewhat cheerfully, in an effort to lift her spirits.

Now that Isaac was buried, all Maggie would have to do before she returned to England would be to sign whatever papers she needed to do with Mr Craft, Isaac’s lawyer, and then arrange a salary plan for the now freed slaves.

Maggie had decided to pay her workers five dollars per month. That money would accumulate as the plantation provided food a board. They would have savings for the first time in their lives. She had talked over the sum with her father as he had experience with organising household wages. They had agreed that five dollar monthly salary was very fair.

After Maggie had introduced her father to Nora and her sons, Nate had liked them very much. Nora, Maggie believed, was a little enchanted by her handsome father. Though Maggie could see that she enjoyed the respectful adult conversation. Nate was very accommodating with Anthony and Albert and the boys seemed to like him very much. At first they had been cautious of the finely dressed white man but after Nate had proven himself to be kind, they had warmed to him.