Chapter 24

“Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” J.M Barrie

--

Chapter Twenty – Four

Over the next fortnight, Maggie spent time with Mr Craft, signing and finalising all of the legal documents belonging to the plantation. Maggie had nearly fainted when he revealed the sum she would receive every year from the profits.

Mr Craft had repeatedly assured her that the legal documents were iron clad and that Joanna could not contest them in any way. He also promised her that should any misgivings arise, she would be informed immediately. Mr Craft also revealed that he admired her treatment of the Lavelle’s slaves. This gave her great confidence that he would be a good manager to them.

Maggie made sure that each and every one of her workers had her address in England. She wanted them to contact her if ever they had any concerns. It was not through mistrust of Mr Craft that she did this, but through concern for her now employees.

While Maggie was working on the plantation, Nate was making plans for them to return to England. Maggie was more than ready to go home. They would be in New York by the first of May, and in England by August. If the weather was agreeable, perhaps sooner, but it was indeed possible that Maggie could be spending her twentieth birthday on a passenger ship.

But in the midst of all the busyness and the haste, Max always found a way for them to spend time together, as they always had done. Whether it be a simple walk about the grounds or an hour together where he would just draw her, Maggie truly enjoyed getting to know Max all over again.

Concealing his feelings for so many years meant that there was much more to Max then Maggie had known and she loved having him be so open with her.

“Do you really think Janna has gone to Canada?” Max asked Maggie one Thursday afternoon as they sat before the large oak tree before the cotton fields. The beautiful tree was no longer bear, and Max was drawing in the foliage on his previous drawings of it.

Janna’s father had come to the plantation earlier that morning to see if Janna had come to call upon Max and Maggie. Maggie had to suppress her utter joy. Of course, she could not be certain, but where else would Janna go? Maggie hoped that she had gone to Canada and she hoped that her Daniel would forgive her initial hesitation.

The first thing Maggie would do when she returned home would be to ask for her letters. No, she first hug her mother, then she would ask for her letters.

Maggie did feel sorry for Janna’s father though. Mr Sunderland did look a mixture of concern and anger. Janna would most likely write him when she was sure there was no way he could undo anything that she had done. Like a marriage, for example.

“I honestly hope so,” Maggie replied. “I might not have liked Janna in the beginning, but I did seriously misunderstand her intentions. She deserves love with whomever she pleases. I do not believe that families should have a say in who their children marry.”

Max chuckled. “It is a good thing that my family love you and yours love me.”

Maggie smiled deviously. “We are fortunate, are we not?”

“Our lives are going to change when we return, though, you do know that.” Max’s tone became slightly sombre.

“Yes, my mother will no doubt be taking my measurements for wedding dresses before I have had a chance to set my trunks down.” Maggie laughed lightly.

Max joined in. “When we do become engaged, I cannot fathom the amount of input our family will have with the preparations.”

“Did Aunt Rose ever tell you the story of my Mama and her first fiancé?” Maggie asked. She was suddenly reminded of their Aunt Bess’ extravagant wedding planning for Charlotte’s wedding to Eric, her first fiancé before Nate.