the night we met

dt: kosmosgrunge <3

warnings: not that i know of

-

it was almost midnight when he came in.

at first you groaned at the sound of the doorbell. you almost had hope that no one else would come in before your shift was over.

but when you got up to take his order, you were intrigued.

there sat a boy in school shorts at midnight on a tuesday. you knew that he wasn't with the man next to him because he came in long after him.

your aunt ended up taking his order because you were taking too long, staring at the kid.

she snapped you out of your thoughts when she came by the kitchen and told you he wanted black coffee. you both thought that was odd.

she goes in the back to get change while you bring the strange 'kid' his coffee.

"here you go" you say, as you place the coffee down in front of him.

he looks up for a split second and mumbles, "thanks"

you go back to the spot you were previously in and go on your phone. minutes later you hear the bell on the door ring, indicating that they left.

thank god

but when you stand up to clean up, you're met with the boy. and as much as you were intrigued with this kid, you were waiting on him to leave, so you could go home.

"hi, did you not get the check or something?" you ask, wondering why he didn't leave.

"what's your name" he says, showing no emotion whatsoever.

"um, i'm y/n" you say

silence follows

"how old are you", he asks

"16, and why are you asking me so much questions?" you state. you were getting a little irritated.

he stares at you

"aren't you a little too young to be working this late" he says, taking a sip of his coffee.

you scoff

"aren't you a little too young to be drinking coffee" you retort

he leans towards you, "you don't know anything about me, y/n"

you do the same, "and you don't know anything about me, little boy"

he smirks, amused.

just before you were gonna ask him his name, a bunch of men in black uniforms come in.

seriously? more people

but when you realized they had guns, you knew they definitely weren't here for donuts.

"um hey kid, i'm gonna go run now. wanna join?" you say, nervously backing up.

"nah" he says calmly, "i got this".

the rest was a blur.

after hearing gunshots you ducked under the tables and just prayed you wouldn't die in a donut shop.

when you heard the sounds stop, you slowly emerged from under the table, shaking.

and there the kid stands, dusting himself off in the middle of a big group of unconscious men that had GUNS.

you were so confused to how he took down so many people with no weapon but a butter knife.

the boy turns around and flinches

"jesus, you're still here?" he says and makes his way to you.

you back up, frightened.

who is this kid? and more importantly, why are people after him?

his expression softens when he notices that you're scared.

"look, i'm not gonna hurt you ok?" he says extending his hand.

"but i'm not sure if more are gonna come, so we gotta get out of here" he says, motioning you to come with him.

you look at his hand

and then back at him

"what's your name?" you say, you were not gonna go with someone who you didn't even know the name of.

he looks at you stupidly, like the question was irrelevant to the situation.

it kinda was but you were curious.

"five" he states.

you give out a confused face and he lets a breath out

"i'll explain later, now cmon. let's go"

five once again sticks out his hand

and you take it, unsure.

he looks at you. "ok. don't freak out"

you were confused, "wha-"

before you could get a word out, you feel a tingly sensation and you're on a roof.

your eyes go wide.

"what just happened?!" you exclaim, freaked out but kind of amazed.

"ever heard of the umbrella academy?" five asks, looking right into your eyes.

you nod.

when you were younger, you remember seeing them as teens, always on the news, and then eventually breaking up.

realization hits.

"you're one of them aren't you?" you say, unsure.

"correct" he said with a grin.

that night consisted of him explaining what happened to him and why he looked so young. you both went on about your childhoods and how we all are just a little fucked up inside.

you both sat there, on the roof of who knows where, just talking.

the night ended with five bringing you back to the academy, because he didn't want you going home by yourself.

the next morning you were greeted with his face next to yours, snoring peacefully.

you were content. and most importantly, so glad that you took the midnight shift.

-

a/n: holy shitballs. 333 views wtffff y'all are amazing. ilysm for actually reading my terrible writing :') <3.