Chapter Six

Caroline woke up to an empty room. Michelle was nowhere in sight, her bed neatly spread. Where had she gone? While reaching for her wristwatch on the bedside table in an attempt to check the time, she saw a note. That note hadn't been there last night when she slept. Someone must have put it there this morning. She opened it:

Hey, Caroline. Mom, dad and I are off to church. We didn't wake you up because we thought you'd be tired after your long trip. Your breakfast is in a warmer on the kitchen table. We'll be back around 11:30. Enjoy.

-Michelle

Caroline was glad the Browns didn't make her go to church with them. She couldn't remember the last time she attended a church service. The time on her wristwatch was 5:02 am. That was strange because the intensity of light transmitted by the curtains indicated that the day had already broken.

Caroline walked barefoot to the curtains and opened them. Just as she had suspected, it was broad daylight. She squinted as she looked up to see the position of the sun. It was almost directly above the house and that meant it was almost afternoon. Her wristwatch must have gone bad. She read the time on her phone instead. It read Abuja, Nigeria. 11:02am. She mentally laughed at herself. How could she forget that Nigeria was in a different time zone from New York? Her wristwatch had been set according to New York's time.

If it was 11:02, then the Browns will be back in less than thirty minutes. Caroline needed a warm shower. She wasn't hungry; she'd eat later. She went into the bathroom and took a quick, warm shower. Caroline had just finished bathing and dressing up when the door burst open to reveal a smiling, Michelle, dressed in a pink gown. Caroline had to admit she looked very beautiful.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked as she walked to her side of the room and removed her black stilettos.

"Very well." Caroline grinned. "I haven't slept this well in months."

"Why?" Michelle looked disturbed.

"My job required me to report to work by 6:00 am." She laughed. "It's nothing, though. I got used to it."

"What kind of job was that?"

"Waiting tables."

"Thank God you came to your senses and left there." She unclasped her necklace. "Mom says you were very adamant about not coming to live with us."

"No, it's not like I didn't want to come. I just didn't want to be a burd-"

The door burst open and aunt Emni came walked in. She smiled at Caroline.

"Baby girl," She hugged her. "did you sleep well? I hope you weren't lonely. We had to go to church. We thought you'd be too tired to come.

"Yes. I slept well. Good afternoon, aunt Emni." Caroline smiled. "I just woke up about thirty minutes ago and I've been engaged, since then. So, no, I wasn't feeling lonely."

"You must've been tired. Have you eaten?"

"Erm, actually, no." She looked apologetically at Michelle. I woke up not long ago. I'd just finished taking my bath when you came."

"It's okay." Michelle laughed. "The food can always be microwaved."

"Would you like to eat now?" Aunt Emni asked.

"No, I'm not so hungry."

"So, can we have our talk now?"

Michelle burst into laughter, drawing both Caroline and Aunt Emni's attention.

"What's funny? " aunt Emni said smiling.

"So, you guys are going to have mother-daughter talks? "