Chapter Thirty-Five

Caroline was fighting hard to stifle her giggles, but she was unsuccessful. The sight before her was priceless. Isaac was tiptoeing out through the back door and pulling her behind him. He'd been left with no other choice but to come out this way as he needed to get Caroline home before midnight. It was already 10:55 pm and it didn't seem as though his guests were leaving anytime soon.

"Shh." He whispered. "I don't want any of them to find me."

Caroline nodded. She placed her hand over her mouth in an attempt to stifle her giggles.

As they got out successfully, they burst into laughter.

"We're done with step one." Isaac heaved a sigh of relief. "Now we need to find how to get to the car without anyone seeing us."

Caroline who was caught off guard by Isaac's beautiful backyard was barely listening to him. Its swimming pool and basketball court, it was the biggest she had ever seen.

Your backyard is adorable." How could the front of a house look so simple when the back was this exquisite?

"Thank you." Isaac looked around the backyard. "You want to relax a little?" He gestured towards some patio chairs under a nearby tree. "I mean, we still have almost an hour before twelve."

"Sure." Caroline nodded.

Isaac took her hand and led the way.

"So," He smiled. "How're you?"

She laughed. "You just saw me a few hours ago. Isaac."

"But I haven't heard from you in days." He dusted a few leaves off the chair before they sat. When they sat, he put his arm around her shoulder as he lounged. "I thought you hated me."

"No." Why would he think such? It was her who was supposed to be saying that. "I thought you hated me."

"Me?" He looked surprised. "I told you I liked you."

"But for two weeks, I didn't hear anything from you. You didn't call, you didn't text. When I came back to the office you weren't excited to see me. You didn't even give me a ride back home that day."

"No, you don't understand." Isaac held her hands in his. "I didn't call or text because I thought you didn't want me to. You don't know how hard it was not to have heard from you for that long. I thought it was what you wanted. The day you came back, I tried speaking to you, but you walked away, I thought you didn't want to talk to me. I felt really bad. After work that day, I went to the production unit to look for you, but you'd left already. I thought you didn't want me to give you a ride back home. I wasn't happy, but I just wanted to respect your wishes."

"No. I didn't want you to leave me alone."

"But you said it to my face at the hospital. If you didn't want me to leave you alone, why did you tell me to?"

"I just... I didn't want to be a distraction to you." She brushed away an errant strand of her hair. "You were coming to see me every day and I felt your job needed your attention."

"No." Isaac brushed her cheek with his knuckles. "Caroline, if it means staying up late to cover for hours spent with you, I'd gladly do it."

"I'm so sorry." She wished she hadn't said those harsh words to him. They wouldn't have had to go through all they went through.

"It's okay." Isaac smiled. "It's all in the past now."

"Yeah." Caroline nodded.

"So," Isaac grinned. "I don't know if I was dreaming some hours ago but I remember being kissed by the most beautiful woman I've ever met." He had this mischievous glint in his eyes as he spoke.