Chapter Thirty-Seven

Seth's discomfort didn't go unnoticed by Jack who watched as he glared at the woman on the opposite table who had been starring at them right from when they walked in.

"Seth," Jack whispered. "Remember we're supposed to behave well. We don't want to spoil the company's name, remember."

"Next time we're coming to Africa, remind me to dye my skin black." Seth scowled.

Jack fought hard not to laugh. He understood Seth unease. They'd both been uncomfortable with the stares people had been giving them. So many times, Jack had caught people trying to steal glances not just at them, but also at a few other whites who were present at the wedding. It was as though they were a different species. The stares had been very many during the church wedding due to the large crowd in attendance. But here, at the reception, the crowd had drastically reduced and so did the stares because entrance into the hall was strictly by invitation and most of the people in attendance were from the society's elite. Nevertheless, Jack still liked Ghana. The environment was beautiful. The people were nice and welcoming. Their food was also amazing. The previous day was Jack's first time of tasting roasted plantain. It was so delicious he felt like eating the plate as well. And their music was spectacular. The previous day had been fun-filled. He and Seth spent the evening shopping for Christmas gifts for their loved ones. So far, Jack could say he was enjoying his stay in Ghana.

The wedding began early that morning. A wedding between a Nigerian and Ghanaian. Jack had never experienced such a wedding as this. The people from both cultures were in full attendance in their cultural attires. This wedding was far from boring. The banquet hall where the reception was held was decorated in a manner Jack hadn't seen elsewhere. From the chandeliers to the beautiful linens to the glass tables and colored lights, everything had a touch of both cultures and spoke beauty. The more he admired the hall, the more certain he was, that Ghanaians were indeed creative. He watched the banquet hall fill up as more people trooped in and in no time, the ceremony began. The MC was very lively, his jokes made even Seth laugh. He introduced the many personalities that were in attendance, beckoning on them to move to the high table. From the names called, Jack could tell that this wedding was in no way a small wedding. The representative of the president, the former governor, a lot of senators and Ghanaian celebrities were in attendance. One could expect such when the groom was the son of a senator. One personality who was called drew Jack and Seth's attention. He was the C.E.O of Jays wears, a Nigerian fashion company.

"Isn't that one of the brands of shirts we bought yesterday? Jay's wears?" Seth asked him.

"Yeah." Jack nodded. "That pink one I got Tessy. That's the CEO"

"He's young."

Jack nodded, but before he could observe the young CEO further, he and Seth were called to the high table as the representatives of their company. With loud applause from the people, they walked through the aisle directly behind the young CEO and his plus one who was also called to the high table. The lady who walked with the CEO drew Jack's attention. Although he could only see her backside, her stature and walking posture looked strikingly familiar. Jack observed the way she slightly tilted her head when she walked. Where had he seen this before? He knew he'd seen it somewhere. An usher directed the CEO and the lady to turn left. As they were about to turn, Jack closely observed the lady so he could see her face to know if he knew. But just as they turned left, Seth tapped him, drawing his attention away.

"I was wondering," Seth smiled. "Between Jollof rice and Banku and Tilapia, which should we eat?"

Another usher directed them to turn right.

"I don't know." Jack shrugged and looked back, in the direction the CEO and his plus one had gone. But he couldn't see them. They'd gotten lost in the crowd at the high table.