Chapter Thirteen

"This is delicious, Martha." Mama Grace poured herself a glass of water. "So, this is what I've been missing."

"Thanks, mom." Martha was glad she was enjoying the meal.

"So, tell me. How has blogging been?"

"It has been beautiful, Mom. God is just too faithful. I keep getting more subscribers than I can count."

"You see, it's a good thing you didn't quit, that period when things were tough."

Martha smiled. "Yes, mom. It was you who encouraged me to keep going. I can't thank you enough"

Martha had started a food recipe blog two years ago. It wasn't easy at first. It was frustrating because it seemed nothing was working. She spent hours writing articles but there was little to show for it. She was on the verge of giving up when mama Grace encouraged her to commit her blog into God's hands and stop worrying. She followed mama Grace's advice; now her website had a high SEO ranking. The passive income it generated was huge. Her blog, coupled with Jack's salary was more than enough to meet the needs of the family.

"No honey, thank God. He's the one who gives us the wisdom we need to make the right choices."

"That's true."

''Grandma, my fine arts teacher said that I'm the best student in drawing," Tessy said.

"That's my baby. I'll love to see your works. you'll show me, right?"

"Yes, grandma. My teacher keeps most of them, but I have a few at home."

Martha noticed Jack had been silent as usual. He wasn't paying attention to what they were discussing. He was playing with his food and looking out the window. His food was barely touched. It was alarming to see that even mama Grace's presence hadn't changed him. He still kept to himself as he had done since their big fight.

"How has work at the church been, Jack." mama Grace asked.

Jack gave no response. He seemed not to have heard as a result of his absentmindedness.

"Jack?"

"Daddy?"

Martha and Tessy chorused, drawing Jack's attention back to the dinner table.

"What? What did you say?" He asked no one in particular.

"Where is your mind, boy?" Mama Grace looked disappointed.

"Sorry. I got distracted." Jack scratched the back of his neck.

"How's work at church?"

''It's been fine,"

Martha was glad mama Grace was seeing firsthand, what she had been complaining of.

"We have a lot of talking to do, boy." mama Grace said after out-staring Jack.

"Grandma, when are we going to Paris? Remember you promised to take me." Tessy said, seemingly unaware of the tension she'd broken.

"That's true, sweetheart. We have to make arrangements with daddy and mummy, so we'll know the best time to go."

They chatted a little longer and dinner ended. Tessy was still engrossed in her discussion about Paris with mama Grace when Martha stood up to clear the table. Jack stood up to leave, but mama Grace stopped him.

"Remember we have to talk."

"This evening?"

"Of course. Decide where you want us to talk. Here or some other place."