brace face - steve

pairing: steve x reader

warning: none

summary: steve's biggest insecurity was his teeth. that is, before he got braces.

---

"Hi," he said simply. His voice sounded rough, and bit strange, but you knew why. He had just gotten braces a few days ago. You couldn't go with him because of a family event but Ponyboy and Soda had accompanied him to make sure nothing went wrong.

"How are your teeth?" you asked, fiddling with the phone cord.

"Fine." You could tell from the sound of his voice that he was anything but.

"I'm coming over to see you," you said. Immediately, Steve started whining from the other side of the line.

"No, no, you can't come," he said quickly. His voice sounded like he was attempting to talk through a mouthful of marshmallows.

"Is your dad home?"

"Uh, no, but...."

"I'm coming over."

You pulled on some clothes and hopped into your car, speeding off towards Steve's house. You decided to stop at the DX and buy some popsicles and chocolate pudding on the way. Once you arrived at his house, you walked straight in, as you did when you knew that his father wasn't home, and walked straight into Sodapop.

"Ahhh!! Soda! I didn't know you were here," you said in a surprised tone. Soda grinned at you and looked down at the DX bag in your hand.

"You didn't wonder why I wasn't at the DX?" he said. "Anyways, whatcha doin' here, Y/N? I thought Steve told you he doesn't wanna see you."

"He did, but I came anyway," you explained. "Where is he?"

"Hidin' in his room with the door locked," Soda laughed. You pushed past him and ran up the stairs to Steve's bedroom.

"Steve?" you said, knocking on the door.

"Y/N, I told you not to come," you heard Steve mumble in a soft but angry voice.

"Steve just let me co-"

"No! I don't want to see you right now."

In the long silence that ensued, you felt your eyes filling up with tears. Why doesn't he want to see me? Maybe this was a mistake.

"Fine," you said, tears threatening to spill over. You turned around to leave, but suddenly heard the door open. Before you could look, you felt Steve grab your arm and pull you into the room, before slamming the door shut. You turned to look at him, but he stared at the ground, refusing to show you his face.

"Hi Stevie," you whispered, walking over to him. You gently placed a finger underneath his chin and and lifted his face. Your eyes met; you saw worry swimming in his bright green eyes. You noticed that he had clamped his lips tightly together in a straight line. "Show me," you said softly. He shook his head, but you kept eye contact with him until he sighed and relented.

Slowly, he opened his mouth to reveal a line of metal and white rubber bands across his teeth. "They're terrible, ain't they," he said quietly. He shut his mouth again, concealing his braces.

"No, they're not. I think you look adorable in them," you told him, and you meant it. His cheeks started to turn a light shade of pink; he turned away and put his back towards you.

"I don't want you to see me with them. I'm ugly as it is, and these damn metal tracks make it even worse. I don't even know why a girl like you even bothers with me."

"Oh Stevie," you said, walking forwards and wrapping your arms around his waist. "You'll never be ugly to me. You're the most handsome, beautiful man I know and nothing will ever change that. You look adorable in your braces, and just think how happy you're going to be when you get them off!"

"Yeah, in one or two damn years," he mumbled. You released your grasp around his waist and walked around him so you could look him in the face.

"You're perfect, okay?" you told him. You stood up in your toes and planted a gentle kiss to Steve's nose. He gave a small smile; he suddenly wrapped his muscular arms around you tight and nuzzled his face into your neck.

"Now give me a real kiss."

"But I know you don't want to kiss my brace face, Y/N...it was bad enough with my snaggletooth and now a mouth full of metal..."

"Shut up and just do it," you said. Steve crashed his lips into yours like there was no tomorrow, and you kissed him back with every ounce of passion and love in your body. You were determined to prove to him that there was nothing better than being with him, than kissing his beautiful face.

"I fuckin' love you," Steve breathed, pulling away from the kiss. He smiled at you, his dimple deepening in his cheek and his braces in full view.

"And I love you, braces and all," you replied. "And by the way, I brought you some popsicles and pudding. Your teeth have probably been bothering you."

"Awww man, you're the absolute best."