snow angel - steve

pairing: steve x reader

warning: none

summary: steve is your snow angel, with all of his imperfections.

---

"y/n! wake up!"

your eyes pop open as you feel your body being shaken awake by steve. you groan and grab his pillow, chucking it at his head. he laughs loudly as he moves to dodge it. "leave me alone, steve," you mumble, pulling the covers up over your head.

"sunflower, noooo. you can't go back to sleep. it's snowin' outside!"

you ignore steve and try to fall back asleep. it never snows in tulsa, and you're sure this is steve's way of getting back at you for that prank you pulled on him with soda last week. "no it ain't, steve, so can ya please leave me alone!"

"sunflower, i promise this ain't a prank."

reluctantly, you pull down the covers. and find yourself face to face with steve, his face only inches away from yours. he leans forward to plant a kiss on your lips, but you scrunch your nose and shove his face away with one hand. "steve, you got morning breath."

"that ain't ever stopped you before," he sasses, before giving you a wet kiss on the cheek. you slap him on the arm playfully before rolling out of bed, still skeptical of steve's claims of snow. you peek out the window and squeal in excitement when you see steve was telling the truth all along.

"come on!" you yell, rushing out of the bedroom with steve on your heels. you quickly pull on your coats, zip each other's up, and pull on your mittens before running outside into the cold winter air. you look up and see swirls of white powder coming down, the kind of snow you'd only seen in the movies. you watch as it fell, admiring the winter wonderland the world had blessed you with this year.

"you look cute with snow in your hair," steve says quietly. you turn to him, your cheeks flushed, and just stare at him. the long eyelashes framing his emerald green eyes are dusted with white snowflakes. you can't help but notice that they make his eyes seem more vibrant. you're unable to stop looking at his face, at his red cheeks and nose, and his hair covered in snow. suddenly, you find yourself closing the gap between the two of you, gingerly pressing your cold lips to his. you wish you could freeze this moment in time, treasure it forever, but you know that like the snow, this moment is ephemeral.

when you pull away, steve looks at you with wild eyes. he grins cheekily, shoving his hands into his pockets. "you're crazy about me," he teases.

"oh shut up," you mumble, blushing once again.

"yes you are and you can't do anything 'bout it." steve steps towards you. "you're so in love, y-"

before he can finish his sentence, steve finds himself on his back and on the ground, his body sinking in the fresh snow. "hey!!" he shouts, trying to sound angry. you double over laughing at the sight of your boyfriend trying to scramble to his feet, only to get snow down his jacket. after a few minutes of thrashing around, steve gives up and relaxes on the ground.

"what're ya doing, stevie?"

"i'm bein' a snow angel. your snow angel," he replies. your heart warms at his words, and suddenly, it doesn't feel so cold out anymore.

you drop down into the snow next to him, cuddling into his side. steve tucks his arm under your head, letting you use his bicep as a pillow. you both stare up at the sky, watching the snow spiral towards you.

"hey sunflower," steve whispers.

"yeah sunshine?"

"you'll never leave me, right?"

your eyebrows knit together in confusion as you turn your head to look up at him. his face is crumpled up, giving the illusion that he's concentrated on the falling snow. but you know better than that.

"sunshine, what's wrong?" you ask.

"it's just..." steve swallows. "the best things in life don't last all that long, ya know? like you know how pony always quotes that poem...you know, 'nothing golden ever remains' or some shit like that."

"nothing gold can stay."

"yeah, that. well, i was just thinkin'. in a couple weeks, maybe even days, this snow's gonna be gone. as pretty as it is, it ain't gonna last forever. and that got me thinkin'...maybe that poem is right and nothing good in life lasts forever. and the only thing that's ever gone right in my life is being with you."

"sunshine," you say.

"i know, i'm just bein' dumb but-"

"steve randle, look at me." when steve's eyes meet yours, you start to speak. "steve lucas randle. weren't you just teasin' me earlier 'bout how in love with you i am? there's a reason you ended up in the snow, steve, and it's because it's true. i'm so in love with you, sometimes i don't even know what to do with myself. i am so in love with you, i barely remember life before i met you. and i'm so in love with you that i can't imagine not being in love with you. so don't you ever think that i will ever stop being in love with you."

steve's eyes are still locked onto yours, but you can't tell what he's thinking. his face has gone completely flat, with no smile or no frown in sight.

"you're so pretty with snowflakes on your eyelashes," you whisper. and all of a sudden, you see a tear roll down steve's cheek. "stevie? are you cryin'?"

"yeah," steve chokes out. "that was...that was just about the nicest thing anyone ever said to me."

"awww, stevie." you reach up and wipe away the tear, giving him a huge smile. "i love you. i always will."

"i love you too, y/n," he says. "you know what? i believe you. cause if you didn't love me, you wouldn't be lyin' in the snow with me while our asses freeze."

you laugh out loud before pulling yourself into your feet, helping steve up after brushing yourself off. "you're right. now how 'bout goin' inside and drinking some hot cocoa?"