don't need your protection - dallas

pairing: dallas x curtis reader

warning: none

notes: darry doesn't want you to be with dallas. you don't need darry's protection.

---

everyone knew you were hopelessly in love with dallas tucker winston.

in fact, all of your friends knew it. your whole school knew it. the whole damn city of tulsa probably knew it.

except darry.

ever since your parents died, darry had become extremely protective over you. even though you were older than ponyboy and only a year younger than soda, darry treated you like you were two years old: your curfew was 7 pm, you weren't allowed to wear skirts above the knee, and first and foremost you were forbidden from dating anyone. especially dallas winston.

you were never really one to follow rules anyway.

so there you were, sat in dally's room at buck's. dally was leaning against the window, looking out into the parking lot as he took a drag from his cigarette. you watched him, admiring the lines of his arm muscles, shadows dancing across his face as the clouds moved past the sun outside. you admired his hair, which was pushed back off of his face with a bright red bandana you'd begged him to tie around his head. you loved how dally looked in bandanas. and you know he did too.

"doll," dallas speaks suddenly.

"yes?"

"what do ya think darry would say if he knew about us?"

you scoffed loudly before jumping to your feet and making your way over to dallas. you wrapped your arms around his waist, rest your cheek on his chest, and look up at him. "he'd probably skin me, skin you, and then skin me again."

"what would you do if i told you he just pulled into the parking lot?"

your heart stopped; your mouth dropped open. "w-what?"

as if on cue, the door to dallas' room slammed open to reveal a very angry darry. you gaped at him, then looked back at dallas. dallas continued looking out of the window nonchalantly, as if everything was fine. you pull away from dallas and face your older brother, heart seemingly pounding out of your chest.

"what are you doing here, y/n." darry spoke calmly, making his question sound more like a statement.

"i-i..."

"what does it look like," dallas spoke suddenly. he dropped his cigarette out the open window and turned to darry, an uncaring look still plastered over his face.

"it looks like you're corrupting my baby sister."

"come on dar," you said, pleading with him. "it's fine. dallas and i have been together for five months now. he treats me good."

"i don't care. we've discussed the rules," darry replied cooly.

"fuck rules!" you retorted, throwing up your hands. darry opened his mouth to reprimand you but you continued speaking. "all you care about is rules, darry. 'you can't do this, you can't do that.' how about letting me live my life darry? you're always yellin' at pony and i about everything while soda's out doing who knows what all the time. it ain't fair."

"i'll tell you what ain't fair," darry roared. he steps closer to you, his face right in yours. "what ain't fair is that girls like you get their hearts broken by boys like him," he gestured towards dallas, "what ain't fair is that girls like you don't listen to what their big brothers tell them and then come crying back when everything goes to shit."

"you know, mom and dad wouldn't act like this. mom and dad would let me be happy." you knew it was a low blow and that this would piss darry off even more, but the comment slipped out before you could stop.

"i'm just trying to protect you."

"i don't need your damn protection," you snapped. you immediately regretted those words. darry pulled back, an unrecognizable expression on his face. his face turned pale, and he was rendered speechless. he looked at you, at dally, and then at his shoes.

"well," he said, "if that's the case." darry turned and slowly started to walk out of the room.

"darry, wait-"

"don't bother," darry said quietly. "you don't need me, right? it's fine."

and with that, your big brother left, his heart heavy and broken.

"i can't believe i said that," you whispered, tears threatening to poor from your eyes. "i can't believe i just said that to him."

"doll, don't cry. you know i hate when you cry," dallas said. he turned away from you slightly, unable to bear the sight of your tears. dallas wasn't the best when it came to comforting people.

"dally?"

"yes doll?"

"i could really use a hug right now."