cute - steve

pairing: steve x reader

warnings: none

summary: steve hates being called cute.

---

You're sitting on your bed, reading the copy of To Kill a MockingbirdPonyboy lent you when Steve barges into your room.

"Hey," you say softly. He nods in your general direction and falls onto the bed, stuffing his face into your pillow. He lets out a loud scream, startling you, before going completely limp. Steve had his tantrums and outbursts, but you've never seen Steve this upset before. Instinctively, you reach a hand out and entangle your fingers into his hair, massaging his scalp gently.

"What's wrong, sunshine?"

"People, I hate people." He slams his fist against the bed, making it rattle. You roll your eyes at his dramatic actions.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"Okay, well if there's anything you want me to do, then let me know."

You go back to reading your book, but as you predicted, words begin spilling out of Steve's mouth.

"I don't wanna go to work and I don't wanna see Soda and I don't wanna pump gas and I don't wanna fix cars and I don't wanna deal with those damn customers. I just wanna sleep." He lifts his head up and pouts, and you can't help but think he looks quite similar to a baby chipmunk.

"You're so cute," you say.

He lets out another scream into the pillow and thumps his fist against the mattress.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm NOT cute! I'm supposed to be hot! Masculine, sexy even! Not cute!"

"Oh but you're so cute, Stevie!"

"Stop saying that!"

"Stevieeee," you hum, setting the book down on your bedside table and cuddling into his side. He slowly turns his face towards you, and you can see that he's on the verge of crying. You plant a kiss on his cheek before hugging him. "I'm sorry you had a bad day. Everyone has those sometimes. But now you're home and you don't have to worry about work and you don't have to see Soda and you don't have to pump gas, fix cars, or deal with customers. Now you're with me."

"Thank God for that," Steve mumbles, nuzzling his face into your neck. "Baby?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we cuddle?"

You smile softly and move closer to him. He wraps his arms tightly around your waist, enveloping you with warmth and the smell of car oil mixed with the cologne Steve insisted on wearing every day.

"Baby?" Steve whispers into your ear.

"Yes, Steve?"

"Do you really think I'm cute?"

"You're the cutest," you say immediately, getting a groan from Steve.

"I'm hot! Not cute!"